Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
denver , North Carolina
leaking Vista window remove the walls too?

I have a leak in my vista window and the water runs down the inside of the wall and then to the floor. This is a 1973 AS and I just got so I am finding things I need to fix. Would it be ok to just fix the window and seal it or Do I also have to take the wall off also? I am a little worried their maybe mold there. I really dont want to get into that because everything else is good for hte most part.
volleylbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
RE: Water leaking at Vista View window

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleylbiggs View Post
I have a leak in my vista window and the water runs down the inside of the wall and then to the floor. This is a 1973 AS and I just got so I am finding things I need to fix. Would it be ok to just fix the window and seal it or Do I also have to take the wall off also? I am a little worried their maybe mold there. I really dont want to get into that because everything else is good for hte most part.
I assume you mean the window near the top of the wall but it matters little where it is located. Go to Harbor Freight Tools and get some plastic scrappers to use on the exterior frames of the window where it touches the exterior aluminum panel(s) where it is riveted. You will find the old sealant that was used to seal the frame to prevent water intrusion. Remove all the old sealant around the frame and then clean the area with mineral spirits first and then with alcohol until clean. Go to a marine supply area of boat dealer and get a container of Capt. Tolleys' Creeping Crack Cure and apply it around the frame of the window and all exterior rivet heads until it stops soaking into the gap at the aluminum exterior wall panel and rivet heads. Then get some Acryl-R or Sikaflex Sealant in aluminum color and re-caulk all the way around the edge of the frame where it meets the exterior body aluminum of the trailer. You can also use this inside on the edges of the frame and interior edges of the glass to make sure it is leak proof. Let it cure for 48 hours and then check your repair by running water over the top edge of the Vista View while someone watches for leaks inside the trailer! Hope this helps! Let us know how it works for you. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
denver , North Carolina
should I take the walls off?

thanks for your advice I will let you know how this goes. What do you think about taking the walls off to inspect the insulation? There is no smell or moldy smell. If this was a house I have no problem taking dry wall down to check this but this airstream wall is a different deal. thanks
volleylbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I fixed my leaking vista windows by caulking from the outside. I does not look quite as nice now when you look though the window because I put a fairly heavy bead of calking on the glass to caulk the window frame to glass joint. I also had problems with the awning rail catching a lot of leaves and stuff and water backing up to the bottom of the vista window. I made a drain under the window to try to reduce that problem. It has worked for 2 years now.

I have not taken an interior skin off. The insulation is fiberglass and it will dry eventually if the leak is stopped.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
I agree with BigEd52 I would suggest using painters tape and mask off around your window about 1/4" away from the window edge. This will give you a nice looking seal edge after applying the Sikaflex. Pull up the tape when you complete the job. Will be looking factory :-)
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
wall panel removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleylbiggs View Post
thanks for your advice I will let you know how this goes. What do you think about taking the walls off to inspect the insulation? There is no smell or moldy smell. If this was a house I have no problem taking dry wall down to check this but this airstream wall is a different deal. thanks
If you had loads of mold growth at the floor area or window areas it might require a removal but I feel it is not necessary as you say no smell is apparent. Cleaning up the areas where water was gathering from the leak with a bleach&water 50/50 mix should kill any mold spores that may be present in those areas. Unless the leak was present inside the wall cavity itself the insulation should be intact and need no treatment. If you have had mice infestation in between the interior and exterior walls then you would want to remove the interior panels to clean out feces and pee damaged insulation and replace it with new. If you plan to replace insulation or wiring you should do those things first by removing the interior panels. Before you do that it is always best to stop all water intrusion from areas where openings have been made in exterior panels to include all rivets, windows, lettering, awning rails A/C units, trim strips and all other openings in the "skin"! Getting your shell in the dry and well sealed should always be the first priority. Let us know how it works out for you. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote