Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #1

1978 23' Safari
Jonesboro , Georgia
Leaking 79' Safari Window

I have a 79' safari that I need to totally take out a window frame, reseal and reinstall (the glass is fine). Can't seem to stop the leaks with just silicone on the outside. I assume I have to use a spring punch on the buck rivet, then drill out the rivet, then seal frame with Vulkem sealant. Does anyone know of a video that shows the procedure or have any other advice?
thanks,
r9memanuele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by r9memanuele View Post
I have a 79' safari that I need to totally take out a window frame, reseal and reinstall (the glass is fine). Can't seem to stop the leaks with just silicone on the outside. I assume I have to use a spring punch on the buck rivet, then drill out the rivet, then seal frame with Vulkem sealant. Does anyone know of a video that shows the procedure or have any other advice?
thanks,
First, post a photo.

Second, NEVER EVER use silicone sealer on the exterior of an Airstream.

You will regret that useage for a long time.

You can try to remove it, but most likely unless you use a chemical, a chemical trace of the silicone that you cannot see, will prevent using the correct sealers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
There is fifty reasons an Airstream window can leak rain water. Silicone sealants aren't the answer on Airstreams.

I recommend you take all the old sealants off the exterior of your window so you can see what's going on. Study the seams, the welds, the rivets, the gaskets, everything. When spring comes, run a garden hose with a small pattern spray on the window starting from the bottom and working your way up until you see water coming in. Then re-seal and test again.

Many Airstreamers have found water leaks above their windows. Things like marker lights, awning brackets, roof penetrations, etc, can be leaking where the water runs down between the interior walls, hits the window frame and makes it look like the window is leaking. Look for other possibilities.

I found an interesting mis-match between exterior skin and window frame on my 66 Trade Wind. I have to think about how I'm going to seal this big hole.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411 Window Rear Gap.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	228190  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
There is fifty reasons an Airstream window can leak rain water. Silicone sealants aren't the answer on Airstreams.

I recommend you take all the old sealants off the exterior of your window so you can see what's going on. Study the seams, the welds, the rivets, the gaskets, everything. When spring comes, run a garden hose with a small pattern spray on the window starting from the bottom and working your way up until you see water coming in. Then re-seal and test again.

Many Airstreamers have found water leaks above their windows. Things like marker lights, awning brackets, roof penetrations, etc, can be leaking where the water runs down between the interior walls, hits the window frame and makes it look like the window is leaking. Look for other possibilities.

I found an interesting mis-match between exterior skin and window frame on my 66 Trade Wind. I have to think about how I'm going to seal this big hole.

David
Sikoflex would be best.

It cures out in a couple of hours.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Inland Andy mentioned Siliflex (sp) as a good sealant. Many have sung its praises in these Forums. I'm going to have to try it. Here is the "sealant" thread where Airstreams have shared their "best practices" for sealing leaks. It might be helpful to you.

David

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ry-116214.html
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I removed all of the riveted on window frames on my 71 GT because they were all leaking. See page 31, post 427 below for details

Welcome to the forums
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I had a small leak originate at the winegard antenna. The antenna wire jacket was crumbling at the roof penetration. Start your search beginning at the top. While you are sealing things up, don't forget to put a little around the frame rails at the body junction. Its notorious for allowing water to seep in while underway or if the trailer is parked nose up. Good Luck.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

I love np1 with primer I work on airstreams everyday and I stand by it . maybe order the eyebrows as well
airman805 is offline   Reply With Quote