Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2020, 06:59 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
I put a Desani water bottle cap as a shim/spacer. Cut a little grove in it with a hack saw. Fits and works.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:08 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenrms View Post
X2- but better to use adhesive instead of screws
^
X2

And we don't even have a 'door'.
The entire sliding door frame was not secured properly in 'Cloudsplitter'.
Mixed epoxy & sawdust and got'er done. I used three spreaders to hold the frame in place as the mixture cured, 16yrs SFSG.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12552DF2-7D80-4B32-A281-5D8FD9AE89DB_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	383155   Click image for larger version

Name:	4A9E7DAB-9A5A-4134-AEB2-88536A6375EB_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	383156  

Name:	81A158B1-89B3-4214-B96F-E05FD05961E0_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	383157  
Old 11-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
I just installed the kit Airstream sent me. Our shower door started falling after about 2 months on the road. By month 3 it had ripped the sweep off the door, and by month 4 the door was un-openable. We used the little nylon spacers suggested in the first post for a while, but they kept popping out.

Full-timing it in a 2020 International Serenity 30RB!
https://AdventureToaster.com
TV: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB Hemi
AdvToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:30 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Shower Door Sag...

We had the same problem, including leaks. After those were fixed, we found that the suspect screw had bent and replaced it.
Further, in transit and especially during Texas summers, we found that the door was actually getting 'out of square' or some such; i.e., the diagonal measurements were not equal.
Removing the door (again), we removed the handle side trim and gently squared the door back up against the vinyl inserts.
That done, we now put a shim under the door on the handle side when in transit. After 2+ years, still no further problems.
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:53 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Boalsburg , Pennsylvania
Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontzdav View Post
I put a Desani water bottle cap as a shim/spacer. Cut a little grove in it with a hack saw. Fits and works.
THANK YOU for this great idea! We have had our International back to the dealer 4 times for this issue and they refuse to call Airstream for a fix, simply replacing the sweep to have it tear again after one use. SO FRUSTRATING! It took me 5 minutes to put a groove in a plastic bottle cap and slide it under the hinge. When it wears out, I'll drink another bottle of water! Cheers!
JSteff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:08 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
Can you post a picture of how you fit the bottle cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteff View Post
THANK YOU for this BFF great idea! We have had our International back to the dealer 4 times for this issue and they refuse to call Airstream for a fix, simply replacing the sweep to have it tear again after one use. SO FRUSTRATING! It took me 5 minutes to put a groove in a plastic bottle cap and slide it under the hinge. When it wears out, I'll drink another bottle of water! Cheers!
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
My first post four years ago was a solution to the dragging shower door problem. Some airstreamers are fed up with the shower door and have taken it out to put shower curtains. I just don’t like shower curtains…

In picture #1 below you can see that the problem I had four years ago was that the aluminum door frame was no longer solidly attached to the wooden frame. There was a 1/4” of movement at the top (shown by the blue arrow) which led to a 1/4” downward movement of the door which wouldn’t properly close. The solution was to solidly screw the aluminum frame back against the wooden frame (green screw) which solved the problem.

Four years later, the door is rubbing again. But the aluminum frame is still solidly attached to the wooden frame. The problem lies elsewhere. In picture #2 below you see there is a horizontal screw (the blue arrow) which is screwed into the top of the glass door frame (the red arrow) and at the head end of that screw there is a hard plastic block (the green arrow) through which the screw passes. This block rests on a ledge and it is this screw with its plastic block that is supporting the glass shower door and preventing it from sagging.

Given that road conditions create earthquake conditions inside our trailers, the heavy glass door’s weight eventually bends that screw and the door sags. Taking out the screw and putting in a new one is one solution, but since I was boondocking I didn’t want to try that without being certain that I had the exact right replacement screw, which I didn’t. So the solution was to turn the screw a half turn. Since the screw was bending downwards, by turning the screw by half a turn while supporting/raising the door with my left foot (the other being in the shower), what was bending down now was bending up, and the door no longer sagged and the bottom door edge became level with the frame once again.

There is no excessive bending pressure on the supporting screw when we are camping; the problem is when we are towing the trailer. To relieve that pressure I needed a wedge to be placed at the bottom of the door that we could add to our departure checklist. Luckily I found a wooden clothespin which exactly fit in width and thickness that I could slip in the bottom door rail and under the door handle (picture #3). With that wedge the door is snuggly kept in place when we travel and when removed while camping, the adjusted screw keeps the door free to open and close without rubbing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ShowerDoorFrame.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	419098   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScrewAnchor.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	419099  

Name:	WedgeSupport.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	419100  
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote