Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2022, 09:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
2 questions

Does just a cabinet handle put too much pull on the 3 existing screws ?
Is the reason for the 2 washers to use the entire length of the new screw ?
Thanks
Old 06-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
The cabinet handle doesn’t put any more force on the three screws than pulling the original door handle; it simply takes the stress off the door handle. My understanding for using two washers is that the lower washer essentially raises the contact point above the square factory joint and the top washer distributes the load to the bottom washer and ultimately the metal latch plate independent of the handle joint.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:04 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , AZ
I assume you took the face plate off and drilled holes in it to attach the door handle. Is that correct? Thanks.
vwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Correct

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:18 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Latham , New York
Back in Feb ‘22, I added a door handle to my brand new Bambi like the others have posted here. This was before leaving on a east coast to west coast trip. Yanking on the door handle to latch it seemed a bit much for it to take. Glad I did!
WhatNext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:03 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Port Angeles , Washington
August, 2023
My 2018 International has a wimpy interior door handle. This past Sunday evening, while trying to secure the door for the night at my campsite, my tug sent me flying backwards holding the handle. So, locked INSIDE. with the screen door blocking access to two of the screws that secure the door mechanism, I was left with the option to use the rear exit in the morning. Fortunately, my late husband had a Fiamma bike rack installed upon buying the trailer. That provided a step down after getting out the rear window. Great planning with the bike rack, do not get any other kind. It cleared the window opening by around an inch! With a pillow on top I was able to exit without having to catch the eye of a neighbor camper and ask him to open my door. The door latch inside handle is extremely poorly designed, as there is ONE tiny screw holding that handle on. Since the door needs a pull to latch, that weak spot eventually had to give. Just so I did not lock myself in again each night, I used a simple tie down on the screen to my interior door handle which is attached to the wall with 4 SMALL screws. These are not going to save you from falling like a safety bar. Be careful. Following along some earlier comments on this subject, I found the fix. Good luck. Find a substantial handle that will be around 5 inches and drill holes to attach. See some of the images
Best of luck
JECTJC is offline   Reply With Quote