Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
That sounds like really good idea. It would be hard to forget where you hid the spare set. Thanks
I thought your original premise was that the lock had failed internally, and that no key would let you in?

This is a great thread IMO, as it forces folks to think outside the box, and challenge their own sometimes mistaken assumptions.

Well done.

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:13 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I thought your original premise was that the lock had failed internally, and that no key would let you in?

This is a great thread IMO, as it forces folks to think outside the box, and challenge their own sometimes mistaken assumptions.

Well done.
Peter, you are correct. Iíve witnessed vintage Airstream lock sets that broke an internal spring, a loose internal screw backed out and the key cylinder tailpiece separated from the cylinder. So, youíre locked outside and the key will not operate the lockset. That may not be the case in more modern Airstreams. The windows in a 55 are pretty simple and inexpensive. I installed them, so I could replace a broken one if needed. Anyway, there are some who have read this thread that did modify their thinking on the subject. Thanks
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:21 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uke player View Post
. . .
. . . We had ourselves locked out (with the dog inside the trailer)! and we called Good Sam road service to send a locksmith to get us in.
. . .
Do you know how he or she did this? Might be helpful info for others to know.

There may be Airstream locks which fail inside so profoundly, that even a locksmith can't gain entry IMO.

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
At RV park with a friend with her SOB motorhome her door latch/lock failed internally such that she couldn't get out and I couldn't open from the outside. The mobile locksmith tried all sorts of things for over an hour eventually had to get a large drill with a large bit and basically destroyed the locking part and whole latch to gain entry. We spent the rest of the day driving around looking and eventually finding a matching replacement locking door latch.

At least the window emergency exit in the Airstream is just a few feet off the ground. Exiting that class A from a window requires a ladder as the drop is well over six feet.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:27 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks . . . good feedback IMO.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
I read once that you can generally use a flat tool or strong wire to release the window locks, one on each side, open the window and crawl in that way. You have to sacrifice the screen but they're easy to replace. Check your windows in advance for a suitable window to work on.

I posted the above info earlier in this thread but I hadn't actually tried it. Another poster responded that it could not be done. Today I used the thin metal hanger rod from a hanging file folder to see if I could unlock a window in my 2018 Flying Cloud. I bent the rod so that it would grab the window latch and inserted it below the latch mechanism. I was able to grab the latch and pull it down to the unlocked position. I did the same on the other side and had the window open in less than five minutes. I believe a coat hanger would do a better job because a hanger is stronger than the rod and will still fit between the glass and the rubber seal. This most likely applies only to newer Airstreams that have frameless glass windows. But it does work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HangingFileWire.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	394805  
Old 05-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Glad that worked for you. Could you post a photo of what your window latches look like from the inside? Having a hard time here making sense of your description. Maybe insert your "tool" where you had it before, so that the entire operation is shown in one photo?

Thanks,

Old 05-03-2021, 11:36 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
I posted the above info earlier in this thread but I hadn't actually tried it. Another poster responded that it could not be done. Today I used the thin metal hanger rod from a hanging file folder to see if I could unlock a window in my 2018 Flying Cloud. I bent the rod so that it would grab the window latch and inserted it below the latch mechanism. I was able to grab the latch and pull it down to the unlocked position. I did the same on the other side and had the window open in less than five minutes. I believe a coat hanger would do a better job because a hanger is stronger than the rod and will still fit between the glass and the rubber seal. This most likely applies only to newer Airstreams that have frameless glass windows. But it does work!
I think I was that other poster (not to be confused with an imposter). I did not actually try to use a tool to open the latch from the outside. I did try to move the latch with my hands from the inside while it was in the latched position. I found that I could not do this on my front window, but could do it on my rear window (Emergency Exit). It appears the latch itself can be adjusted to be either tight or loose. It is probably worth checking how tight the latch is on your intended entry window.

Nothing like actual experience to confirm or expand upon theory!