Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #21
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Just got mine and wondering too, trying to figure out how to do it

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #22
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
They work it seems... glad got a couple extra for breakage now or later...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
Just got mine and wondering too, trying to figure out how to do it
Me too. I looked at the hinge in the closet, and the clip and it made no sense. Since I had to visit the dealer anyway, I took a clip with me and showed it to a service advisor. He had no idea either.

Google is my friend. The plastic thingy goes between the metal shell and the attachment part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l_81992.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	301240  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
More Pictures

https://www.rocheleau.ca/Public/pdf/CLIP-PROGT.pdf
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I was at my Airstream dealer the other day for a unrelated item, so I took one of the plastic clips with me. The service advisor had never seen one so he took it to the Airstream experts and the service guys and neither had ever seen it. I guess if you sell the units and never use one, there's no reason to "Fix" the problem.

Until I Googled the images, it made no sense to me either.
Here's some pictures from this issue on an old thread. Thanks to the OP for the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170328_112114.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	301309   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170328_112118.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	301310  

Old 12-29-2017, 12:05 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
I received my small grey plastic clips today from woodworkersexpress.
They work great! Thanks for this thread and the info.
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #27

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Wheat Ridge , 80033
Can someone post a photo of an installed hinge "bumper." The bumper was noted in a different thread and appears to be a gizmo to protect the hinge from bumps that jar the connection loose. It was boat part for attaching a bimini.
flyncldxctry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Nylon Zip Ties... WORK for Boondocker

A Genius on these Airforums fixed the hinge problem for us from a post last year. This may not work for yours.

Although we did pick up these clips in a bag, from our Airstream dealer for no cost... we no longer needed them. Keeping them just in case. We found a better option:

The Airstream owner used Zip Ties. Simple. Easy to attach. They work.

The nylon zip tie, I use TWO on each hinge if I can. Zip tie goes around the front and back and tighten up. I use a needle nose plier to tighten the zip tie... TIGHT. So far, no zip tie has broken getting them snug. After they are as tight as you can pull it, without breaking it... clip the excess, but leave an inch or less if you did not get it tight enough. Find a muscle builder to do the work... if you are unsure about trying this. I did it. The width of the Zip Tie seems to be 1/8-5/16"" or so. If you can break it, too narrow. These were my tool box and handy.

The Zip Tie holds the hinge snug against the metal on the door. You will see the gap on the hinge mounted to the wall and the door. Wear glasses if you do not.

Two Zip Ties will fit under the sink hinges, about an inch+ apart. One on all of the other hinges. You will see the space to slide the zip tie to secure.

I wrote a Thread of my experience some time ago, long forgotten where. My experiences and the ORIGINAL post I used their advice.

Our 2019 has had NO, NONE, NIX or any hinge break loose, come loose or given us any problems. Cheap, inexpensive, keep spares in the event you did not tighten the zip tie and it moved. Mine have not moved. They do not interfere with opening or closing.

This is my THIRD new Airstream. I was sick and tired of doors coming loose. The tiny screw would fall out and you are... well screwed by a tiny screw. Eventually you will find it... after buying one, if they exist other than an entire hinge.

The naysayers will pile on like a Quarterback Sneak at the one yard line... ignore. If you are afraid to try this... others... may try it. Our 2019 hinges are problem free as of today. We travel some roads that should have shaken the hinges loose... but are tight and secure.

Problem solved for almost nothing, as I had these Zip Ties in the tool box for much longer than I owned an Airstream. These will age out before breaking!

(Post #25 has our hinge style. You may have to experiment with yours. You can see the outside edge sticking out to secure to hinge on the right side.)
Old 06-21-2022, 04:31 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale49 View Post
I figured it out.
Hi folks. I know these posts are older but I have the clips and don't know how to install. Anybody have a picture or instructions on how to apply the hinge clips?

Thanks
JohnGough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:01 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
how do you install these clips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale49 View Post
Always coming unfastened and difficult to snap back on. Why do they have to be so complicated? Is there an easy way of putting them back together that I am missing? 2017 International Serenity.
Hi there. I have the clips for my 2017 Flying Cloud ... can you help me understand how to install. They came from HQ in a ziploc bag and no instructions. Not apparent to me.

thanks much
Old 06-22-2022, 02:14 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
How do you install these clips

Howdy. Simple question. I have the clips but not clear to me how to install. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:11 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGough View Post
Howdy. Simple question. I have the clips but not clear to me how to install. Thanks for any help.

John, I think the answer you may be looking for is a few posts down in this thread…

https://www.airforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225679

If the link doesn’t work search… Grass hinge

Good luck.
Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:41 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
See the pictures from my post #25. You simply position the clip over the rear of the hinge and push in until you feel a "snap". It will click in, covering the stupid tab that releases the two parts.

The end shown goes inside the hinge. All that shows is the "hook" covering the release.

Do one and you'll go, "Ah! I see now."

Old 06-23-2022, 07:38 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
clips appear to have changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA63 View Post
John, I think the answer you may be looking for is a few posts down in this thread…

https://www.airforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225679

If the link doesn’t work search… Grass hinge

Good luck.
Kevin
Thanks Kevin ...but it appears the clip I received from A/S is slightly different - it does not match the pictures in this thread and does not seem to click into the hinge? Part number 381607-16. My clips look like the picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-23 093203 .jpg
Views:	69
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	418109  
Old 06-23-2022, 08:46 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
.but it appears the clip I received from A/S is slightly different - it does not match the pictures in this thread and does not seem to click into the hinge? Part number 381607-16. My clips look like the picture.
Those clips limit the amount the hinges allow the door to open. It says "110 degrees".

Three years ago, I took one of the Timos clips to my Airstream dealer. The service rep took it to the techs and the "Airstream expert". None of them had ever seen one and had no idea how it worked.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:30 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Those clips limit the amount the hinges allow the door to open. It says "110 degrees".

Three years ago, I took one of the Timos clips to my Airstream dealer. The service rep took it to the techs and the "Airstream expert". None of them had ever seen one and had no idea how it worked.
Thanks. These clips came from the factor so I hope they are what I need. Have asked my dealer for help too. Awaiting for a reply.

Cheers
J.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:36 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Unhappy

Just completed a 6,000 plus mile trip. Had the cabinet hinges come off several times. Yeah, I can snap them back on but further complications occur because the part that is fastened to the inside cabinet breaks loose. The tiny screws that hold the hinge to the mounting plate inside the cabinet cannot withstand the constant bouncing travel entails. They strip loose and cannot be reinstalled securely. AS has not installed a good product for bumpy roads and motion. Thank God for duct tape. Does anyone have a good solution for this? Thanks.
brundom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 01:15 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
I finally gave up on the factory installed hinges. Our unit did come with the plastic tabs but somehow moving gear in and out of the cabinets under our twin beds didn't do the job.

Down to the hardware store for simple 110° euro hinges. Holes do not perfectly align but get both screws in the "door side" and they go in flush. Zero chance of disconnecting. Bonus is a lower profile, less interference when loading or unloading gear.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cabinet_Hinge.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	433206  
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:10 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonslim View Post
Hey- Ive been in the cabinet business for many years using the euro style hinge you pictured.
Hold the door at 90 to the cabinet and slide the front of the hinge onto the plate with the back on a bit of an angle -once the front is locked in press the back in agianst the plate -you should hear a click when the hinge locks in.
If you find its the same hinge - its likely its not snapped in properly - also if you practice snapping a door on and off a dozen times youll becime an expert - lining the front up is key-top to bottom - good luck

I have a 2004 Safari and one door, the door on the passenger side furthest back, has a hinge on the bottom that keeps coming off. If I take my foot and push the hinge open and line it up, a single kick will reattach it to the base mechanism. Problem is that almost every time I open this, it comes off. I went to put a screw in it to hold it to the base, but there is a screw there already that is in the base. It clicks and seats, but continually comes off. Is there a way to adjust it so it won't come off so easily? None of the other doors with that type of hinge exhibit this problem.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:08 PM   #40

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Apollo Beach , Florida
2022 Flying Cloud 23FB closet door hinges

Ok, yesterday while driving from Las Vegas to Kingman (after sunset) on Hwy 93 South I hit a very mad stretch of road the rattled the " Heck" out of my RV. After checking in at my campground, I opened up my rig to find all three of my closet door hinges hanging every which way and cliset door hanging opened. This was a first for me. Three very small SS screws were on the floor in front of the closet door.
The first thing I did was to remove the door and collect all the moving parts. Honestly, it was very frustrating just trying to figure out how all the parts went back together. I connected the door jam parts to the door jam and with the closet door on my bed , i connected all the door parts back on the door. You just have to do it. I hooked up the top hinge on the door first, then the middle hinge and then the bottom hinge last. I had to loosen the bottom hinge part on the jam inorder to connect it. I added some child resistance door straps for future security. See attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20231113_122102.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	438724   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231113_122128.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	438725  

Name:	20231113_122226.jpg