Old 09-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Austin , Texas
Broken window-where can I get it replaced?

I live in Austin but just traveled to Port Townsend WA to help my mom who is sick. On they way, a window was shattered - maybe rock from truck as I was driving through the mountains. Anyway, I have taped large garbage bags on the inside and outside but I really want to get it replaced before heading home. The nearest AS dealer is Seattle but they don't seem interested in helping out.

Any suggestions? If I locate one does it have to be installed at AS dealer or can other RV repair places handle it? Can I order directly from Airstream?

I have a 2008 27' FB International. It is the side bedroom window(not the emergency one) that is above a smaller window. I would appreciate any and all suggesttions Thanks!

dgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's a custom window that is specific to Airstream. Just like windshields for trucks, local dealers don't seem to stock them. It's a high cost "part" and they don't move very fast. That pretty much keeps them out of the stock room. If you have any doubts about this, chat with the stock room manager next time you are at a truck or RV dealer ....

The process is going to involve ordering the part from Airstream. They aren't likely to sell it directly to you so indeed a dealer will be in the mix. For whatever reason, there are a lot of dealers who only order parts once a week or once a month. They also seem to expect that a "normal delivery" will be two or three weeks. Indeed that all strikes me as more than a bit odd (to say the least).

Best bet - give JC a call and see what they say. If nothing else, they might be able to light a fire under the local dealer.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray View Post
I live in Austin but just traveled to Port Townsend WA to help my mom who is sick. On they way, a window was shattered - maybe rock from truck as I was driving through the mountains. Anyway, I have taped large garbage bags on the inside and outside but I really want to get it replaced before heading home. The nearest AS dealer is Seattle but they don't seem interested in helping out.

Any suggestions? If I locate one does it have to be installed at AS dealer or can other RV repair places handle it? Can I order directly from Airstream?

I have a 2008 27' FB International. It is the side bedroom window(not the emergency one) that is above a smaller window. I would appreciate any and all suggesttions Thanks!
I replaced one couple years ago that my son broke while staying in our 25'AS in Montana...(little too much to drink earlier I suppose and couldn't get it closed...30 degrees outside) Anyway, I called AS factory and had one drop shipped overnight to my cabin...think the shipping was more than the window...around $200 or so? Anyway, I was able to install in an hour after figuring out what needed to come off and reinstalled on the new glass. Look at your other windows and make sure you have all the hinge and lock pieces when you call them...they just ship the glass if that's all you ask for! Good luck. Not too difficult job.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the suggestions

The Airstream dealer in Seattle really came through for me. They ordered the window and set a date to install right away. I made a snarky comment on my post about their not being interested in helping and I need to correct that comment. They were really great! Thanks again for weighing in
dgray is offline   Reply With Quote