Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2022, 05:19 PM   #1

1962 30' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
62 Sovereign Window Seals- Help Finding Help!

I purchased a 1962 31' Sovereign and the windows are in tact but need to be re-sealed. I have someone who has gutted it for me and is willing to do the renovation/rebuilding but doesn't feel comfortable with the windows.

Is there any recommendations for who to call in the Phoenix,AZ area to help with this? I've tried contacting a few places but haven't had luck getting through (one did reply saying they don't do windows)

I'm willing to do myself if needed but would have zero clue where to start.
1stTimeOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
You can order the gaskets through Vintage Trailer Gaskets. Robert is very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions. If you had the correct material in hand it may not be difficult to find a place to install. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #3

1962 30' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
You can order the gaskets through Vintage Trailer Gaskets. Robert is very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions. If you had the correct material in hand it may not be difficult to find a place to install. Good luck
Hi Bubba! Thanks for the input- if I were to buy my own parts, what type of businesses do you suggest I reach out to? Auto window, RV repair, body shops, etc?
1stTimeOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeOwner View Post
Hi Bubba! Thanks for the input- if I were to buy my own parts, what type of businesses do you suggest I reach out to? Auto window, RV repair, body shops, etc?
I would consider an RV repair guy. There should be several around the Phoenix area. It’s not that difficult. Remember, any gasket has the tendency to shrink a bit. So, when cutting to fit the frame, don’t stretch the gasket. I’m sure there are other Airstream owners around your area. Maybe they’ll reach out for suggestions of area repair shops that are knowledgeable.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Give these guys a try. If they don't stock I believe they can make it for you.

https://www.steelerubber.com/
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
Vintage Trailer Supply https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Hello and welcome... that range of windows, '59 ish through about'65 Hehr Hallmark can be challenging and time consuming for a full redo as there are several layers. The basic seal between the window and frame is a "bulb" seal. Vintage trailer supply or Vintage trailer gasket are the best options for these but not necessarily the only. Would search the forums as there are several good write ups about how to do these. When I completely redid the windows in my'61 Ambassador that was probably the worst part of the whole renovation and took 2-3 hours per window once they were off the trailer. I also installed all new glass.
Good luck, ask lots of questions, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:29 AM   #8
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Congrats on your purchase. I wanted to add my 2 cents regarding the window seal replacement. I replaced all of the seals on my '72 overlander and found this almost theraputic. I took the windows off the trailer one by one, found a nice spot outside in the shade and scaped the old adhesive off. Finding the right tools helps. I had a utility knife that had a square blade and the top edge was the cutting edge; made a perfect scaper. The second thing that helped was orange oil. This cut through the old adhesive very well. I also used a dremel tool with a scaper wheel to polish up when done. When all of the old seal was gone, used rubbing alcohol to clean any residue. After almost 2 years, seals still intact doing their intended job.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
1st time owner,

We would second the recommendation of Vintage Trailer Gaskets out of California. They really do have some of these highly sought after correct and proper gaskets and seals for these vintage trailers. Robert is indeed very knowledgeable and not over priced. He also has a nice resource library of trailer years and which seals they used on which parts. Not sure of the advantage of trying to source and sort them by yourself.

If nothing else print out his documents so you can match diagrams to the sites you are sourcing from.

We have used these seals on our 65 Tradewind, 62 Ambassador, 61 Globetrotter and 62 Overlander. Getting doors and windows sealed and water tight is a high priority.

Vintage Trailer Supply
Out of Doors Mart

Unfortunately as big as Phoenix is we no longer have a lot of Vintage Airstream related resources. There is Silver Trailers in Phoenix who work on Airstreams. The new Chandler Airstream dealership will have a service department and we will be asking them about their ability to work on vintage trailers.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign