Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
1967 Curved Windows -- the search drags on

I have been intermittently searching for both the "medium" (29"x 0.5" x 4 and "large" 39"x20.5" x 2) curved tempered glass windows for 6 months now. Of course out of stock on Vintage Trailer Supply and Inland RV yada yada ya. The answers I was getting back early on were, "we are waiting to restock them because they're expensive, check back in January" but now February has come and is almost gone and I'm still without my windows, and I think I've annoyed said companies to the point of no replies... I want to give them my money!

I considered Lexan, etc., but because of Covid, Lexan costs as much or more than the glass would, and of course it has all of its issues and is basically not what anyone would want.

So I'm turning to you guys in hopes of any suggestions?

Does anybody have contact info for the supplier / manufacturer of these things directly?

Thanks!

Israel M "Dreamlander"
Dreamlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
In 2019 bought 2 used curved glass from one of the big trailer refurb guys, one was actually an original corning in the glass bar. Might be worth some inquiries?
Good luck... Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdes8 View Post
In 2019 bought 2 used curved glass from one of the big trailer refurb guys, one was actually an original corning in the glass bar. Might be worth some inquiries?
Good luck... Mark D
Thanks for the tip! I'm willing to go that route. I'm still brand new to the trailer refurb scene... who are the "big trailer refurb guys?"

Thanks!

Israel
Old 03-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Good luck. Hope you find something soon. My trailer is a 1967 too. All of my windows are glass right now. I haven't broken a curved window in 5 years. Have a feeling that I'm due now that they are unavailable.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
Okay everybody, I did my due diligence, here is my final summary of findings:

Airstream was the original source for the 1966-68 curved air windows (obviously). They were having them made by Corning, etc.

They stopped manufacturing them x years ago.

Inland RV bought all of Airstream's stock of windows, and were selling them until they sold out a year or so ago. Inland RV WAS NOT having them manufactured for themselves, as was what I understood.

Inland RV was the only source with windows, from Airstream's remaining supply which they purchased and have now run out of.

Talking with Inland on the phone, they confirmed that they do not have a supplier located, and it could be a long time (years or more) before one is found.

Vintage Trailer Supply DOES NOT have a manufacturer/supplier/source lined up. Over the phone, I was referred to a "contact" they had used to arrange previous orders of windows who currently works (or worked) at Airstream, LA. I called there and they said they have not had a relationship with Vintage Trailer Supply for over a year and that there is "bad blood" between them, therefore Vintage Trailer Supply's constant assurance that "they will have windows probably within x months" is frankly not true, as they have even less access to them as Inland RV.

The Airstream, LA contact was helpful... He said he would run the parts number through their database and look for anything anywhere sitting around... The catch was he said I needed to get the number from Airstream, Ohio. He gave me a phone number. Airstream Ohio said they do not have a parts number for these windows, nor do they have any information about them that they could give me, and they also concluded they will not be involved with manufacturing or sourcing them going forward.

So, I was not able to get the Airstream part number, nor do they have the part number in their parts search database to check anyways.

Airstream itself is totally out of the question for these windows.

Inland is out of the question at least for the near future.

Vintage Trailer Supply is totally out of the question.

High Sky RV parts was another suggestion by Airstream, LA. They have the windows listed as "discontinued" and a phone call confirmed that they are not even going to attempt to supply them going forward.

High Sky RV is out of the question.

My two recurring suggestions were: slowly collect old used ones as they come up, whether from scrap yards, restoration outfits, ebay, etc., or use Lexan / Plexiglass and make the windows inoperable to maintain a seal at least until a solution is found potentially years down the road.

I hope this helps you guys who might be thinking they'll be in stock somewhere soon.

They won't.

Time to get creative or get patient.

Now to choose between Lexan and Plexiglass!
Old 03-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is disappointing as I also need a large side window for my 68 Caravel. I will tell you though that my Caravel came with a plexi window placed when the previous owner broke a window on the Alaska Highway, and that is the window I am finally looking to replace with glass. So I guess I will try and polish away the fogginess it has slowly built up and use it a bit longer while looking out for a glass window.

But don't be afraid to try plexi, and don't think you need to make it inoperable. My plexi window has been operating like a regular window for about 20 years (I've owned it for 17 years now). It's not a terrible option if you can't find glass.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
That is disappointing as I also need a large side window for my 68 Caravel. I will tell you though that my Caravel came with a plexi window placed when the previous owner broke a window on the Alaska Highway, and that is the window I am finally looking to replace with glass. So I guess I will try and polish away the fogginess it has slowly built up and use it a bit longer while looking out for a glass window.

But don't be afraid to try plexi, and don't think you need to make it inoperable. My plexi window has been operating like a regular window for about 20 years (I've owned it for 17 years now). It's not a terrible option if you can't find glass.
That's actually very encouraging to hear!

I was just about to pull the trigger on pre-cut Lexan MR-10 (scratch/mar resistant) as it's supposed to be more flexible than Plexiglass & won't shatter.

It IS more expensive, but I don't care. My Airstream restoration guy said anybody smart that has these actual glass windows used will ask $1,000 EACH for them... So whether Lexan or Plexiglass I'm still coming in less than that. In other words price is the least of my concerns, I just want the better aesthetic and resale value of the two (Lexan/Plexiglass) should I turn and sell this trailer. My airstream came with all the windows Plexiglass. They were yellow and cracked and all shattered into pieces when I attempted to open them. Who knows how old they were, but that's why I was attracted to Lexan.

Though I would hope whether me or the next owner, the acrylic/polycarbonate windows will be replaced by glass at the soonest availability and they are only a temporary solution to the tune of a few years.

So really I want clarity and ability to operate would be a huge plus.

You say your plexiglass actually operates, and plexiglass is supposed to have more clarity and scratch resistance, this is all very attractive to me.

Are your plexiglass windows in the frames or are they frameless?
Old 03-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Lexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamlander View Post
That's actually very encouraging to hear!

I was just about to pull the trigger on pre-cut Lexan MR-10 (scratch/mar resistant) as it's supposed to be more flexible than Plexiglass & won't shatter.

It IS more expensive, but I don't care. My Airstream restoration guy said anybody smart that has these actual glass windows used will ask $1,000 EACH for them... So whether Lexan or Plexiglass I'm still coming in less than that. In other words price is the least of my concerns, I just want the better aesthetic and resale value of the two (Lexan/Plexiglass) should I turn and sell this trailer. My airstream came with all the windows Plexiglass. They were yellow and cracked and all shattered into pieces when I attempted to open them. Who knows how old they were, but that's why I was attracted to Lexan.

Though I would hope whether me or the next owner, the acrylic/polycarbonate windows will be replaced by glass at the soonest availability and they are only a temporary solution to the tune of a few years.

So really I want clarity and ability to operate would be a huge plus.

You say your plexiglass actually operates, and plexiglass is supposed to have more clarity and scratch resistance, this is all very attractive to me.

Israel, I sent you a PM but Lexan is the way to go for a longer term replacement if you can't find glass! The scratch and Mar resistant quality is much better IMO and was what Inland Andy was recommending before he had Airstream remake tempered curved glass. FYI Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:

The plexi window has always worked fine. It is closed most of the time and probably set to the curve of the body over the years. It does have a frame on it, maybe that helped it curve.

It has been difficult to tell it from the glass window right next to it up until the last few years, when it has gotten progressively foggier. I'm going to try some Novus polish on it (that is what I used to use on the plastic rear window of my convertible) and see if it will clear up enough to go a bit longer. Else I will be watching for your Lexan install for tips.

I guess I should have grabbed a glass window from VTS a couple years ago when I first started thinking about it!

Old 03-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
A couple more thoughts... our '76 Argosy had an older replace with Lexan pano window that looked great and was easy to clean and even polish a little. Someone had fit it nicely to the trailer. Center flat glass right next to it was plexi and was all crazed and cloudy, easy to replace with flat glass.
I remember helping an ex boss fab windshields for speed boats, he was pretty good at it with years of practice under his belt. Make a template, cut the lexan (I'm assuming it was Lexan) with a jig saw with a fine tooth blade, and then lay it on the boat and starting in the center gently heat with just a hand propane torch and work to the sides (these were complex curves). A single dimension radius might not be that hard?? They were surprisingly strong. We could sand and buff the edges for nice fit and appearance.
You would think that with all our computers and technology it wouldn't be all that hard to reproduce a piece of glass...
BTW, I travel with a couple of pre-cut pieces of plexi just in case.
Good luck...Mark D
Old 03-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Thanks for all of the research into glass curved window replacements. I'm disappointed to know that they are no longer available. I think I paid Inland about a hundred dollars plus 50 shipping for one of the big curved street side windows that I lost to a pebble launched by my weed wacker about 4 years ago. I guess I'll just plan on using plastic in the future. I know a guy that knows a guy that does plastic vacuum form molding. Should be real easy for them to tool up to make some curved plastic windows. I'll report back to the forum if find out anything hopeful from him. Will also check on glass manufacture, too.
mikextr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
I had referral phone numbers, names, companies, etc like a spiderweb on a piece of paper trying to get to the bottom of this whole 66-68 window debacle.

I guess my main takeaway was to provide a bit of insight into the CURRENT state of these windows... And when I say I talked to "such and such company over the phone" I am by no means saying I talked to the official spokesmen for those companies nor am I alleging they represent the company etc.. It's just the people who answered being helpful and me reiterating what I was told

I also would add a tad more research on the matter. Someone recommended I check Out of Doors Mart. I did so... The gentleman on the phone said they don't and likely won't have them... He referred me to, you guessed it, Inland RV!

So Out of Doors Mart is also out of the question.

Basically all roads lead back to Inland RV. IF you are going to periodically check the status of these, my advice is to check with Inland RV and don't bother with anyone else as far as new replacements goes. If finding them used is your thing, best of luck to you!

The gentleman at Out of Doors Mart was helpful enough to recommend Lexan over plexiglass though.

I ended up sourcing cut-to-size Lexan from Polymer Plastics out of Carson City, NV.

The associate over the phone confirmed that they are CONSTANTLY cutting and selling Lexan to RV folks, especially over the summer when they're getting moved about and glass windows are getting shattered (as with your lawnmower incident.... OUCH).

So that was reassuring as well.

Lexan it is. I went with the mar & haze resistant stuff.

I will try to let you all know how it goes!
Old 03-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
I think I paid Inland about a hundred dollars plus 50 shipping for one of the big curved street side windows that I lost to a pebble launched by my weed wacker about 4 years ago.
lol, I did the exact same thing! But it was my kitchen window. I was weed whacking in a gravel area near the trailer and got over to the trailer and I was like 'what's all this ice on the ground?' looked up and 'oh $!@#'. Luckily VTS had just started carrying them, so I replaced the window with a glass one from them.

I'm very curious about how bending lexan by heating it would work out. Honestly, I have no problem with replacing with plastic. These windows seem to have become 'unobtanium'.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:45 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Roswell , New Mexico
Quote:

I have been intermittently searching for both the "medium" (29"x 0.5" x 4 and "large" 39"x20.5" x 2) curved tempered glass windows for 6 months now. Of course out of stock on Vintage Trailer Supply and Inland RV yada yada ya. The answers I was getting back early on were, "we are waiting to restock them because they're expensive, check back in January" but now February has come and is almost gone and I'm still without my windows, and I think I've annoyed said companies to the point of no replies... I want to give them my money!

I considered Lexan, etc., but because of Covid, Lexan costs as much or more than the glass would, and of course it has all of its issues and is basically not what anyone would want.

So I'm turning to you guys in hopes of any suggestions?

Does anybody have contact info for the supplier / manufacturer of these things directly?

Thanks!

Israel M "Dreamlander"

I have a supplier that can manufacture these, but they'll come in at about $400 each if I do a run of 30 of these. I wonder if there's enough interest in these at that price to do a run of the 29 inch windows?
Flying_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
UPDATE:

As stated, I ordered the Lexan MR10 from Polymer Plastics, they cut it to size for me and everything.

Very happy with its clarity... wouldn’t tell the difference from the glass front/back panes... also a 10 year manufacturers warranty against hazing.

On installation:

Installed just like you would glass. However I immediately ran into the problem of it bowing out when closed—this left a significant gap using the OEM style gaskets. I measured the distance from frame to window and ordered D gaskets an 1/8th higher, just enough so that the natural arc would “kiss” the D gasket when shut. This helped a lot, but was not sufficient for the gap at the bottom, especially on the larger windows. Here wasn’t a water proofing issue, but obviously an issue for climate control. To resolve this I installed a third clasp/crank on every window, both the large and medium ones. Anyways it matches the front and rear flat windows which already had a third clasp. This closed the bottom gap. At first two of my 6 Lexan panes STILL had a gap on the sides, I realized that by backing out the bottom cranks slightly it would reduce the arc of the pane especially with the new oversized gaskets.

I write this report after 14 hours of consistent rainfall and not a single leak at any of my 11 panes.

All of my windows are fully operational as far as opening, closing, and remaining waterproof. They’re crystal clear (albeit kinda warpy looking as the Lexan is extremely flexible).

Even so I made sure the drains were clear and the sill edges were sealed.

I also installed the cranking claps with silicone at each screw hole... Basically I’m using my sills as the backup measure for leaks, they drain quickly out the drain holes and not into the trailer.

Another thing worth noting was that *before* this rain, I had tested my first two with a hose and it was leaking in at the retainer bar... I solved this by sealing each end. No more leaking there.

Is it perfect? No. With the oversized gaskets and increased bow, it is NOT flush with the trailer.

This is probably more of a style complaint, but I’m also worried that if towing, especially in the rain, the combination of vibration, wind, and driven rain could allow leaks. As a style complaint I’m not worried, the wife confirms you don’t even notice it unless viewing the trailer straight on, even then the casual observer would never notice your window panes aren’t flush to the rv.

BUT! I have a workaround regardless! Also potentially an upgrade. I ordered 24 3inch “chrome” sliding latches after testing one window with the same latches but matte from Home Depot. I was pleased with the results. These I will install 4 for each window, at either end of the crown/zenith of the window arc... so at approximately 8 and 14 inches. I have dubbed them “storm latches” and the theory is they will secure the window for travel... they hold it flush to the trailer.

At first I was worried about looks, but, they appear period correct and you don’t even notice them. They make using the windows more of a hassle as you must operate them from outside the Airstream, but that’s fine. The less these windows are used (even with glass panes) the better, as far as I’m concerned. But that being said, it’s very easy to latch, unlatch when you get to your destination. You simply press the Lexan in with your finger and slide the latch. It was the only solution I could think of to achieve these results without drilling into the panes or window frames. I intend to install them with butyl tape (two screws each) and a bead of Acryl-R along the top to prevent leaks... yes, they would be a new potential leak point but this should resolve that at least for a while.

SO, at 14 hours and counting, with no interior skins so I can observe accurately, my ‘67 Airstream has ZERO leaks. The windows all work beautifully considering they’re not glass. The advantage of adding the third latch at the bottom is it makes it easy to pull the Lexan in while you operate the two side cranks and then the center (this was always a PITA for Plexiglass folks, having to have somebody push it from outside while you tightened)... it’s now easy to close from inside.

So you get the benefits of mar resistant Lexan and the full original operational characteristics of the period’s windows.

ALSO, I attempted to use the two 1968 stainless trim the PO had used... they wouldn’t fit on my Lexan and which was machine cut exactly to spec... they were just slightly too small. I cut one in the center and put it on that way, but then it was a hair too large for the window frame. Dumb. Anyways I scrapped that idea because it would have only “helped” with two windows... Not a big fan of mismatching things.

I have pictures if you’re curious, how do y’all usually upload them? I can also post updates once I install my “storm latches”.

Regardless, after so many months searching for glass panes and debating the merits of Plexiglass vs Lexan, etc. I’m very happy with where I’m at.

I would almost suggest it as the way forward for anyone in similar circumstance, except I would still recommend glass first. But this works until glass is available. If curved glass truly never comes back into production, I can’t imagine many better solutions than this.

Time will tell.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Congrats, sounds like you've made some real progress. When installing my replacement glass windows I had to spend considerable time fussing with the seals as the glass did not conform well to the window frames/body. In places I built up almost 1/4" extra foam under the seals, time consuming but effective. Tested as I went with the old sliding business card trick. I have to agree that we don't open the windows as much in this trailer, never the front and very rarely the 2 large streetside, the idea of all those square inches of glass just hanging there flapping in the breeze, yikes! Double that now that the glass seems NLA ( auto for no longer available). I have also made a few sheet aluminum brackets to hold the glass with a window open on a gusty day, very common here in Colorado. Man they look good in the mirrors with the glass smooth to the body!
Mark D
Old 04-29-2021, 04:27 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Thanks for the update and sharing your findings. Glad you were able to achieve good results with the Lexan since it's our only option these days.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:54 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
This weekend I was presented with the 'opportunity' to replace my old plexi window with lexan when it shattered and flew apart as we were leaving for a trip. This was the rear big side window. I was able to cut a piece of lexan the same thickness as the glass. Because of the thickness it worked with the hinge and bottom clips. The chrome frame was lost. It worked really well. I even drove home through some good rain and it kept it out! And I was able to open and close it from inside the trailer without any issues. Lexan in this thickness is very flexible, but it worked well. I think I would also like to replace the rubber just to be sure it seals well.

The front window also broke, and I replaced it with the same thickness lexan, but it was too flexible and did not seal well enough to keep the rain out. So I need to work on that one.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Roswell , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
The front window also broke, and I replaced it with the same thickness lexan, but it was too flexible and did not seal well enough to keep the rain out. So I need to work on that one.

Same problem on a 68 ambassador. My local glass installer ordered me a sheet of 1/8" tempered glass in the original dimensions for under $30. I also ordered new SS window trim from VTS and now you can't tell the window was ever replaced.

BTW, home depot sells a rectangular profile seal with an adhesive backing in their weatherstriping dept that works as a fantastic replacement for those window seals.
Flying_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Thanks for the weatherseal tip, I'll go look for that.

I'm wondering if I could take a thicker piece of lexan and route the edges to 1/8 to work with the hinge and clips. It would flex less that way, and still be shatter resistant.

Tags