Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2017, 01:26 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Correct. Just make sure the valve is installed in the correct direction. Handle pointing out towards you when in bypass mode, pointing toward the inlet when in normal service mode.
You are a Prince. Thank you.
Last bit of advice. Do you advise using plumbers pipe dope? I use Oatley's.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #42
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
You are a Prince. Thank you.
Last bit of advice. Do you advise using plumbers pipe dope? I use Oatley's.
I use the thread tape included in the kit, several wraps. Only needed on the connections on each end of the provided plastic coupler. The connection to the water tank side of the valve (your yellow arrow) seats without tape just like the existing connection does (rubber washer in that connection), but it wouldn't hurt anything as long as you don't put so much tape that you can't properly seat the connection when you tighten the plastic wing nut. Also no tape needed on the hose connection, but I do put a couple insurance wraps at the brass cap when finished. Obviously run some water from your tank to be sure no leaks.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #43
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I just read all of these posts.
We've been RVing for a good 20 years, mostly backpacking prior to that.
The first year I pumped the pink crap throughout the camper. I thought I was going to have to trade the camper to get the taste out.

Since then I've always set my camper up so could be blown out correctly. On my latest airstream I have 2 dump valves at the water heater, 2 dump valves at the low points and a dump valve for the freshwater.(all from the factory)
When winterizing I put:
Air on the hot water heater vent.
Air on the freshwater input (city water)
Air on the black tank flush.
I have inserted a loop between the freshwater tank in the pump and I put air going both directions.
The pink stuff goes in all the traps with a little extra in the gray and black tanks.

Living in Colorado we like to travel on many of the nice days but often have to winterize between for the cold snaps. I carry a small compressor during those winter trips and I can winterize, anyplace anytime in 20 tot 25 minutes.

I've use this method now for many years and have never had anything freeze and break.
If the water is purged from the line nothing's gonna freeze and break and I'm sure there's always little droplets and pools of water someplace in the line but it can't expand enough to hurt anything.

.Lynnsr
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:27 PM   #44
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsr View Post
I have inserted a loop between the freshwater tank in the pump and I put air going both directions.
Can you better describe what you mean here. I'm thinking it allows you to clear your pump with compressed air. Liking that idea but not following your process.

Good post...for the reasons you mentioned, I held my breath and just went with air this year (and pink in the traps). Then will take my 4 gal pancake compressor on the road with me.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #45
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Can you better describe what you mean here. I'm thinking it allows you to clear your pump with compressed air. Liking that idea but not following your process.

Good post...for the reasons you mentioned, I held my breath and just went with air this year (and pink in the traps). Then will take my 4 gal pancake compressor on the road with me.
pcskier

I will Get a pic and describe what I've done in more detail.

Lynnsr
Old 10-31-2017, 06:52 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Thanks Sr. Intel like that is coming from someone with years of success is appreciated.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #47
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
AirStream water pump blow

pcskier

I will Get a pic and describe what I've done in more detail.

Lynnsr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PAGE 1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	298137   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAGE 2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	298138  

Name:	PAGE 3.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	298139   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAGE 4.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	298140  

Name:	PAGE 5.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	298141  
Old 11-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Okay, I've read everything here, but would like some reassurance or more advice. First off, I do NOT want to use antifreeze in my water lines. So, I followed the book, ran the pump, opened all my drains and then proceeded to blow, blow, blow with a compressor doing each section individually & all together. Here's the question...after all that, I can still hear very faint gurgling from the system. Like risidual water maybe in a horizontal section? So is that normal ? I would think if a little remained, it would do no harm having ample room to expand. It's NOT like bubbling through a vertical stack of water. I'm positive it's more a tiny 'puddle' that won't move. Getting every drop seems impossible but is it really necessary?
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #49
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriebele View Post
Getting every drop seems impossible but is it really necessary?
No, it's not. water expands by 9% in all directions when it turns to ice. As long as there's room for it to expand by at least 10% in all directions, nothing will break when the residual water freezes.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
I was thinking same...thanks!
Still getting through the 'firsts' with our AS and hate that I even have to do this one. I'd be in it full time if I could...
Old 11-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Make sure you blow out the toilet just like a sink
At first, I forgot this and also heard water and this was the issue
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:26 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Two questions that I have been pondering:
1. How much does the RV antifreeze expands when it freezes?
2. If there is residual H2O in the system and one uses the RV antifreeze, do the two mix over time and lower the freezing point?

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #53
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
If it gets cold enough for nearly-pure antifreeze to freeze, then it's too cold to use antifreeze, and you should (1) winterize with air only, and (2) store your trailer someplace south of the arctic circle!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:29 AM   #54
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
Two questions that I have been pondering:
2. If there is residual H2O in the system and one uses the RV antifreeze, do the two mix over time and lower the freezing point?
A1. It usually doesn't freeze, but becomes slush if at the lower temperature range of its freeze protection.

A2. Yes they mix and it raises the freezing point of the diluted solution.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
A1. It usually doesn't freeze, but becomes slush if at the lower temperature range of its freeze protection.

A2. Yes they mix and it raises the freezing point of the diluted solution.
That's why it's always a good idea to blow the antifreeze out right after you use it. There is no good reason to leave it in the system.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbecke View Post
Make sure you blow out the toilet just like a sink
At first, I forgot this and also heard water and this was the issue
Thanks...I found myself staring at a section of the toilet line that looks impossible to drain by gravity alone wondering why they would do that!
Old 11-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Here is a recent thread re winterizing...ais vs pink.

I have out TT plumbed with a diverter valve and also carry a hand pump...both for extreme emergencies. I (so far) only winterize with air,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...th-173443.html

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #58

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Check out that thread that Bob linked to, above. I just added some information (post 101) comparing the different varieties of RV Antifreezes on the market. Be careful what you buy and just because it's pink, doesn't mean it's the best for you. The wrong RV antifreeze product can damage your water system and leave residual tastes that are hard to get out.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Check out that thread that Bob linked to, above. I just added some information (post 101) comparing the different varieties of RV Antifreezes on the market. Be careful what you buy and just because it's pink, doesn't mean it's the best for you. The wrong RV antifreeze product can damage your water system and leave residual tastes that are hard to get out.

Jack

Thanks JacK. Great info. I'm headed to the garage to see what's on the shelf. At least it's only in my traps and toilet. I'm buying some Oatey's for the toilet seals this weekend.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #60
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Winterizing reiterated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriebele View Post
Okay, I've read everything here, but would like some reassurance or more advice. First off, I do NOT want to use antifreeze in my water lines. So, I followed the book, ran the pump, opened all my drains and then proceeded to blow, blow, blow with a compressor doing each section individually & all together. Here's the question...after all that, I can still hear very faint gurgling from the system. Like risidual water maybe in a horizontal section? So is that normal ? I would think if a little remained, it would do no harm having ample room to expand. It's NOT like bubbling through a vertical stack of water. I'm positive it's more a tiny 'puddle' that won't move. Getting every drop seems impossible but is it really necessary?
Rfriebele;
You're doing everything right except on an airstream , running the pump when you are only using air and blowing out the system does not get the water out of that line, in fact any air pressure is blowing against the pump while it runs. Through my many years of camping one of the areas that I have seen cracked by ice during the winter is the filter,/pump.

Check my pictures on this thread to see how to get air to that area. Then you'll never have any troubles.

Protagonist is right, water expands very little when it freezes but in small cracks and crevices it takes very little to break something.

When winterizing I put:
Air on the hot water heater vent.
Air on the freshwater input (city water)
Air on the black tank flush.
The pink stuff goes in all the traps, the stool, with a little extra in the gray and black tanks.

Lynnsr