Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #1

1965 17' Caravel
Annandale , Virginia
Which valve does what (1971 Caravel)?

I have a 1971 Caravel which has the following valves relating to water lines.

1. As you face the left sink closest to the stove there are three valves in the floor under the sink. Facing the sink, the handle of the valve on the left is face-up. The handles of the two valves to the right of the face-up valve are side-up. One of the two side-up valves is slightly closer to the front of the trailer than the other. Let's think of these two valves as a right and left valve.

2. There are two valves in the closet behind the sink in the bathroom. Both handles are face-up. One is closer to the rear of the trailer.

3. There is a valve slightly to the right rear of the toilet. It's handle is face-up.

I need to know what each valve does and when the valves should be open or closed for camping and winterizing. I appreciate any help that may be out there.

Thanks,

Divotvance
divotvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I have a 69 Caravel, but I think I have a different floor plan; mine has the wet bath in the rear DS corner, single basin kitchen on DS, and gaucho across the front.

Now, all my valves are the old compression valves with the wagon wheel knobs. What you describe sounds like a ball valve with a single lever. If so, I think that might be something done in a later restoration, which means, it could be anything. I don't thing AS put in ball valves in 71.

However, it's not too crazy to speculate that they may have installed cutoff valves to the H & C water supply lines under the kitchen sink, bath sink and toilet supply lines, which is what I would guess from your description. Also, perhaps a cutoff to the water heater under the sink.

You can operate the valves with your spigots open and see what happens. Also watch under the trailer to see if any are the drain valves to empty your tank.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #3

1965 17' Caravel
Annandale , Virginia
My valves all wagon wheel knobs.
divotvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Same advice, operate the valves and see what happens.

Or post some pictures and we can better speculate.

The valves are there to cut off flow. If there are three pipes, then the valve is there to divert flow.

Regarding winterizing, it isn't necessary to fill all your pipes with antifreeze; rather, fully drain or blow out the plumbing with compressed air (there is an inexpensive handy fitting you can screw onto your intake to facilitate this), then just put some anitfreeze in your drain traps, in the toilet, and in your black tank (71s did not have a grey tank originally, but if one has been added, then add a bit into that, too.) If there is some residual water left in the lines, it should still be ok. You want to avoid having the water freeze to the point where it burst the pipes. A few drops left in the fresh tank or a tiny bit left in the pipes won't expand to the point of bursting anything.

If you have the original copper, they are a bit more susceptible to bursting than PEX.

Hope this helps!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel