Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Fred, do you have a book I can purchase or a website with these types of pictures and the comments like you added for this picture? I have obviously been looking in all the wrong places. I may be missing something very enjoyable. I really love this stuff. Thanks again, Barry
Hi Barry:

No book or website yet, excpet for one about Pendleton National Park Blankets: home page. I'm the woolmaster there. Many old Airstream photos are posted on the Sierra Nevada Unit's web site: Sierra Nevada Airstreams ... so spend some time poking around there.

I write a history column for Airstream Life Magazine called "Old Aluminum Adventures" that covers topics such as early Wally Byam and WBCCI Caravans, experimental trailers, interesting old trailer accessories, etc. I plod around in the past. In the current Fall 2007 issue I have written about one family's experiences on the 1956 European Caravan, during which the photo you admire was taken. The article has other Kodachrome photos of that caravan with pastel colored tow vehicles and shiny Airstreams in tow, delicious eye candy. .

Over the past 4 years I have written nuts-and-bolts trailer ID articles in the VAC's "Vintage Advantage" newsletter that detail Airstream trailer develpment and features from 1947 to 1968, the range of my knowledge.

Gathering factual data and old trailer images is a never-ending process that takes time and focus. I'm still plugging away at it. Thanks for asking.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Wash water holding tanks first appeared in 1973 or 1974, can't remember which year.
Fred, I have seen two 1973 Sovereign Internationals with wash water tanks. What I was told by a retired Airstream employee was the wash tank was an option on 1973 Internationals, and standard on 1974 Internationals, and optional on 1974 Land Yachts, then standard on everything in 1975. Her info seems to jive with what I have seen.