Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

water system mystery

After nearly a year of sitting (drained) while we waited for a chance to break away, we finally got the '72 Tradewind out onto some scenic byways again last weekend. But I was surprised by a new water system problem I hadn't experienced before.

When we half-filled the water tank and turned on the pump (not connected to water service) water began spraying out of the water inlet at the rear of the trailer. We did without water that night.

At the next campground, we had a water suppy, so I connected the supply hose to the same offending water inlet. Everything worked normally, with no leaks. However, when I disconnected the hose two days later, I noticed that the water at the trailer end of the hose was very warm, nearly hot.

Testing again, using the pump forced water out of the water inlet.

I'm guessing that the bell-shaped regulator in the rear closet, right in front of the water heater, is the culprit..that it is supposed to check water from going out of the system, but allow it to come into the system. Anyone else had an experience like this? Any ideas as to where to get a replacement part?
garymacf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 07:02 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
athens , West Virginia
Rivet

My unit has a spring-loaded check valve. The working part is inside the pipe about 1/2". Use a pencil ( or other suitable item) to press the end of the check in and let it return. Do this a couple of times. Yes water will spray out so... get wet or stay out of the way. Stopped this problem for me. Let us know
working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

The bell shaped device should be a pressure regulator. You are looking for the backflow preventer, which is likely little larger around than the plumbing itself and about four inches long.

As noted, it probably just has a small piece of rust or something keeping the valve open.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 10:19 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

"Working" and Mark,
Yep, you're both right...the culprit was the stop valve that was inside a fitting that, had someone in a previous post (which disappeared in the system reload) not described I would probably never have located. I drained the water system, pulled the stop valve out, and sure enough there was some grit in it holding the valve open. I cleaned it, gave it a quick squirt of teflon, worked it back and forth a few times, and re-installed it. We just did a week on the road with no problems at all.

Thanks for the information. Here's a followup question: Since I dinked around with the pressure regulator thinking that it was the problem, and I adjusted the screw in the top of the housing, can anyone tell me how many turns open the screw should be to be correctly set?

Gary
garymacf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 11:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Do you remember which way you turned it?

Clockwise would have increased the pressure, CCW reduces it. They are preset from the factory to 50 lbs or so but can be adjusted either way. I replaced mine after dissassembling it and finding that the seals and seats had disintegrated. If you feel the plumbing pressure is excessive it may be a good idea to replace the pressure regulator. If your pop off, Webster 111, valve keeps opening up you may well have a bad regulator. I had excessive pressure in my Overlander before replacing my regulator.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote