Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2019 27' Globetrotter
Santa Barbara , California
Water pump continues to run

My 2015 AS is 3-weeks new. When the water pump switch is turned on, the pump continues to run, even when the water is not. It seems as if the pump is not completing pressurizing, there is a leak (though no water leak detected), or the pump is defective.

Anyone have any suggestions (the closest service technician for warranty work is 3 hours away)?
M and M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Sounds like you may have air in the lines. Have you tried opening each of the taps one by one to see if air comes out? The motor is running because it can't reach enough pressure to overcome the pressure switch that turns it off. Air compresses, water doesn't
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
On our older trailer when I replaced the water pump I had the same problem. The pump kept running. It turned out that a cone shaped "washer" was needed on the input and output connections on the pump, before the water connections. Cost was less than $2 and the pieces are easy to install.

Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Do you have water in the fresh water tank? Can you see water in the inline filter ahead of the pump? Are you sure the drain valves are closed? Look under the coach for water running out.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Water pump continues to run

Our Zeppel a defective drain valve. Just look underneath whether there is any dripping. It started slow and the first sign was that the pump turned on without us using any water....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

My experience based on boats (same pump-types as RVs) is that pumps fail, actually the pressure component. At one time you could replace just that part, but now it's internal and you're looking at replacing the entire pump, around $70. Of course bleeding the water lines, checking for leaks (even pinholes), ensuring you actually have water, etc. as mentioned above should be first actions.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
we had similar probelm Friday night. We left the water pump on (after done dry camping Monday thru Friday morning and emptying tanks), and when hooked up to electric / water that night (forgot to turn water pump off) -- it just kept running (and took us 30 minutes to recognize it was the pump humming). Just needed to turn water pump off unless dry camping.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
M and M mentions this is a new Airstream. I would call Airstream and arrange for them to accommodate you in having someone local do the inspection and the determination of a fix. Obviously they should foot the bill. Remember it is a new Airstream.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
You may have an air leak on the intake connection. Ensure that the fittings on both sides of the pump filter are tight. Once confirmed, try operating the pump off and on switch at 2 second intervals for a minute or two, while having one of the cold faucets open slightly to help reduce air pressure in the system on the outlet side. If this does not result in flowing water, cuss some, through your arms in the air, go for a beer. If it does work, go for a beer. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ours sometimes runs for at least 10 or more minutes while the air is pushed through the lines, especially if the entire system has been drained—pipes and water heater. It can be easy for the lines to get air bound. Open the faucets one at a time. The closest one to the water heater is where I would start because it takes 6 gal. (or more in the bigger tanks) to fill it and push out the air. You can speed this up by opening the pressure relief valve on the water heater until water comes out. Once you get a steady hot water stream out of the nearest faucet, go to the other ones and bleed out more air. Then go to the cold side. In ours, the bathroom is closest to the water heater, but I'm not sure about the cold side (maybe the shower in ours).

The same thing can happen with city water if the lines are air bound. Before I leave on the trip, I fill the fresh water tank and then pump water through the lines and water heater until water comes out of all the faucets—first it spits some water and lots of air, and eventually you get more water, and maybe some more air, then a steady stream. That's better than figuring it out at a campground. And if you go boondocking, with air in the water heater and lines, you have less water with you unless you bleed out the air before you leave home.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by M and M View Post
My 2015 AS is 3-weeks new. When the water pump switch is turned on, the pump continues to run, even when the water is not. It seems as if the pump is not completing pressurizing, there is a leak (though no water leak detected), or the pump is defective.

Anyone have any suggestions (the closest service technician for warranty work is 3 hours away)?
Good advice provided in the answers so far provided. Our new, replacement pump, for a new 2014 Airstream, also will not turn off. Of interest, the unit provided with the Airstream last year failed within a matter of months and with little use. Perhaps it was the severe winter we faced in 2015??

So, the new unit doesn't shut off. It does pump water when turned on thankfully. Thus far this season we turn it on and off as needed. Not a big deal really. I need to complete the investigative actions suggested by those more experienced and will report results. Hopefully it will be an obvious "open valve, leak, whatever. Best of luck with your issue.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote