Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #1

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Water leak coming up through floor

HELP! We’re full time RVers, currently at the Colorado River TT. We have a 2012 Flying Cloud and we have apparently broken some water pipes or valves in this brutal weather and we’re not sure what to do. BTW, we've kept the propane furnace on the whole time to keep the trailer warm.
We have water seeping up through the seams in the floor. How could that happen? We aren’t hooked up to outside water (frozen) but everyone time we flush our toilet and wash our hands we get more water. We finally just turned off our water pump entirely. It doesn’t appear to be the water heater.
Thoughts?
RazzRvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Hmm, If we take it one step at a time maybe we can find the issue.

You get water when the pump is on or due to dumping water into the gray and or black tanks?

If all the faucets are closed does the pump run? This will tell you if the fresh pipes are leaking. If the pump stays off and does not cycle for 10 minutes or more, the fresh pipes are fine.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:11 AM   #3

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Hmm, If we take it one step at a time maybe we can find the issue.

You get water when the pump is on or due to dumping water into the gray and or black tanks?

If all the faucets are closed does the pump run? This will tell you if the fresh pipes are leaking. If the pump stays off and does not cycle for 10 minutes or more, the fresh pipes are fine.
Pump doesn’t run when faucets are off at all. (We’ve got the pump off now though.)
Old 02-16-2021, 06:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
That's some good news. Then I'd suspect a tank fitting leak and the belly pan is full of water.

Looking at the 2012 parts book I see the lavatory sink drains into the black tank. I will assume that is the sink you use to wash hands and I'm going to guess that unfortunately the black tank, piping or vent is leaking.

So first thing to do till it warms up is to empty the black tank and keep the drain open and see if that changes anything. This may give you a clue as to where the leak is. I'm hoping the tank is nearly or over full, the level gauge is inaccurate and the leak is in the toilet flange or vent stack. The sink drains into the vent stack.

perhaps though the outlet separated as this is the more common issue. Lets see how your test goes.

Don't get too freaked out about black water leaking. Your own stuff won't hurt you any. Just clean it up with mild soap or just water. Avoid bleach, it is hard on the trailer and if you keep the trailer dry nothing will grow.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Another possibility is the toilet leaking, between valve and were it goes into the bowl. This area could just leak fresh water while flushing.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Great Support from fellow Airstreamer

Quote:
That's some good news. Then I'd suspect a tank fitting leak and the belly pan is full of water.

Looking at the 2012 parts book I see the lavatory sink drains into the black tank. I will assume that is the sink you use to wash hands and I'm going to guess that unfortunately the black tank, piping or vent is leaking.

So first thing to do till it warms up is to empty the black tank and keep the drain open and see if that changes anything. This may give you a clue as to where the leak is. I'm hoping the tank is nearly or over full, the level gauge is inaccurate and the leak is in the toilet flange or vent stack. The sink drains into the vent stack.

perhaps though the outlet separated as this is the more common issue. Lets see how your test goes.

Don't get too freaked out about black water leaking. Your own stuff won't hurt you any. Just clean it up with mild soap or just water. Avoid bleach, it is hard on the trailer and if you keep the trailer dry nothing will grow.
Just wanted to say BRAVO for the detailed suggestion in support of the fellow Airstreamer. Hope it turns out well in any case.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:14 AM   #7

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Quote:

Thank you so much! When we can get everything to thaw, we at least have something specific to look for. Right now, it hasn’t been above freezing in 72 hours. It’s 29 right now with freezing rain and snow. We’re in a motel nearby until Friday when we’re planning to tow to a little warmer area. We left propane furnace and electric space heater on to keep things from getting worse.