Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #1

1987 31' Excella
Cawston , British Columbia
Water Hookups

Hey Everyone,

Just purchased a very well-cared-for 1987 31' Excella, so don't yet know much about Airstreams. I gather that every trailer has both a non pressured fresh water holding tank and an inlet for city water hookup. Only I can't find the city water inlet on the trailer. There is a quick coupler under the trailer just below the water tank inlet, but I don't know if that is for water or what. Hopefully, someone will have some insight into this for a newbie.
Rick Mutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
My first Airstream was an '85 Excella 30'er. The city water inlet was at the rear just inboard of the bumper storage compartment on the street side. It was exposed (meaning not in a covered compartment) and was compatible to a standard hose thread. You may find that over the years and between models things will change. Our current Airstream is a '01 Excella 30' and the water inlet is down low to the rear of the wheels, street side and behind a compartment cover. Some models ( my current one for example) have a black tank flush. I don't know if they had them back in the '80's but my older one did not. Likely will have the same standard hose connection and is used to supply water during the dump process to facilitate a more complete tank flush. Don't get them confused.

You likely do not have a tank flush so look around for what looks to be a standard hose threaded fitting for the male end of a garden hose. These are for pressurized "city" water connection only and will not fill your on board fresh water tank. That's another process unless a previous owner had done modifications that might allow that to happen.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote