Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Granville Centre , Nova Scotia
waste valve help ! Need some advise bad

Okay, I have a 1978 Safari and need to replace both gate valves. My question is do I actually cut out the old valves and rebuild the surrounding piping. Because you would run out of room after several jobs like that. Or is there a way to seperate the valve from the surrounding abs pipe and reuse it. Seems to be no direct answer to this anywhere. P.S. working from access holes below
Snailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If it is anything like the plumbing in my '73, it is (mostly) all glued together, and yes, you are going to have to make strategic cuts to remove it. If your probelm is that the gate valves are leaking, you could try buying the rubber sealing elements, and maybe even replacement gates, and try that first.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:47 AM   #3
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Granville Centre , Nova Scotia
Thanks for the reply Belegedhel, They are leaking and wouldnt shut or move. Looking not worth trying to save. Also both bars broke from age. But the Thetford ones dont appear to let you replace a center gate like the Valtera ?. So my second question would be, if I am cutting out everything anyway, would there be room and fittings available to change over to Valtera for easier replacements in the future and much better costs ?. Has anyone out there had success doing that.
Snailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have replaced the valves in a couple of trailers. Valves that old should be replaced. The bodies warp and crack eventually. I separated the valves from the tank. Mine were on with a slip joint and a clamp. Then I just replaced all the glued together piping. I used white PVC from Lowes instead of the black ABS that I was going to have to order and wait for. There is about $50 worth of pipe and fittings. The Tetford valves are good valves and are available from Outdoors Mart and from Amazon. I did not try to change to Valterra. My trailers are center bath and there is not much room around the valves to work with so I went back with what I knew would work. I laid the old one on the ground and built a replacement exactly like it. I did put a Valterra fitting on the end so I can use the commonly available hoses.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
When I replace a valve on my Safari I used a Fernco rubber coupling to put it back together, instead of a glued coupling. Now it's easy to change a leaky dump valve.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-3-in...ngs/1000075327
ps:
if you use this type of coupling, make sure to get the one that says "plastic to plastic".
Old 09-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
The Thetford black water dump valve on our 67 Overlander is still original and working well. Someone said Thetford makes good valves and that is true. I spray the valve with silicone spray once in a while and I always open and close it gently. We have an adapter fitting we can use when we need to connect a Valterra hose but we try to avoid that because we find the Valterra system difficult to use. The fittings are hard to disconnect. In fact, a customer of the RV park I once ran for a while had such a hard time we had to cut his Valterra elbow into pieces to get it disconnected as he had threaded it into our sewer connection several turns and it just would not come out after a week's stay with us.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
One thing I found at Camping World is a set of plastic levers (like wrenches) for the Valterra couplers that make twisting them on and off a lot easier.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I rebuilt my valves in place. Had to make one cut where I had enough straight pipe between fittings to separate the grey from the black valve piping. Went back with a Fernco coupling in case I need to work on them again later.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote