Old 05-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Lakeland , Florida
waste tank delima

I have a 1970 Overlander with only a black tank. I have the subfloor and belly pan out and doing some frame repair now. I am considering a compost toilet. If I do, is there a way to covert the black tank to a grey tank or do I need to buy a grey tank specifically? I could always stay with a standard toilet and add a grey tank but my mind cant work out how to make it happen (location of sinks drain lines and shower and then the vent pipe). The tank would be in the center of trailer. Plumbing is my shortfall.

One last question, currently the waste valve is right at the blank tank, which causes the release handle to come up through the floor in the back. Is it OK to move the valve further away from the tank so I don't have to cut another hole in the subfloor?
CraigCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
You might want to consider more than one tank. Even with a composting toilet the bathroom sink and shower can be the biggest consumer vs. the kitchen. If you put in more than one tank consider running a line between the tanks. This allows you to equalize the volume stored. I put a valve in-between the tanks so water doesn't run back and forth on the road. The valve is cable operated and the handle is in the kitchen sink cab. This connection may not be viable if your tanks are above the floor vs. inside the frame rails.

You can move the waste valve away from the tank and most can be rotated. The handle doesn't have to be on the top. Keep in mind with multiple tanks you probably want to be able to empty them individually. This is usually done just before the common outlet that you attach your sewer hose to. Go look at some other brand trailers without a belly pan the the tanks/plumbing is easier to see.

In case you look at my thread, I chose not to run separate lines to empty each grey water tank individually. It was a matter of space. The older trailers are narrower and the main frame rails are only 4" tall.

I can't stress enough that planning at this stage is critical for you. It is a major pain to try and visualize plumbing/electrical/cabinet & wall location/furnace ducts right now, but the more you sort out now, the less headaches later. I had some experience with plumbing, but the 12 volt/110 volt combination was daunting. Did a lot of reading (especially in this forum) and found I wasn't too old to learn new things. Enjoy the process.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote