Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Lightbulb Using a standpipe as an accumulator?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using a standpipe instead of an accumulator to damp water pump pulses. A standpipe consists of a vertical piece as large of a diameter pipe as possible, and as tall as possible, capped on the top with the bottom teed into the water system. The principle is, air in the pipe compresses and forms a "cushion" in the system to damp pulses and provide a small pressure reserve between pulses during slow flow.

The advantage of using this is it can be incorporated into the wall, as opposed to an accumulator tank, which takes up precious cubic inches inside the trailer.

Has anyone ever tried this?

-SilverSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
mr sausage,

why not just use a SHURflo Smart Sensor 4.0?

you won't need anything but.

just sayin.

tanked
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Thumbs up

Fair enough question. I happen to be in the middle of a panels-off restoration, so it would be easy and very cheap to put a piece or two of pipe in a convenient wall while I am at it, as opposed to a bulky accumulator.

As far as a better pump, I'm looking at under $10 worth of pipe, versus $75 to 150+ for the better pumps out there. The budget has already gotten kind of out of hand on this project, but I do intend to upgrade to a nice pump like that someday, perhaps when the one I have breaks.

It might be sooner though, especially if the standpipe idea doesn't help any... this pulse pump knocks like it is there to serve a warrant!

-SilverSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrSausage
Fair enough question. I happen to be in the middle of a panels-off restoration, so it would be easy and very cheap to put a piece or two of pipe in a convenient wall while I am at it, as opposed to a bulky accumulator.

As far as a better pump, I'm looking at under $10 worth of pipe, versus $75 to 150+ for the better pumps out there. The budget has already gotten kind of out of hand on this project, but I do intend to upgrade to a nice pump like that someday, perhaps when the one I have breaks.

It might be sooner though, especially if the standpipe idea doesn't help any... this pulse pump knocks like it is there to serve a warrant!

-SilverSausage
mr sausage,

you're a contrast of ideas.

you want long hot showers, i'll assume w/ some amount of pressure, and you're boondocking, but don't wanna spend an extra 50 bux for:

no hammering
50psi
flow rate of 4gpm

you're correct, go w/ what you have and a pc of pipe.

yours,

bent w. lee
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Contrast of ideas? Actually, I'm more the wizard of ideas few seem to have tried before. Some of my grandiose ideas work out surprisingly well. Others... not so much.

My setup is such that the primary water tank and everything including the standpipe would be within the insulated shell; an accumulator would use cabinet space, the standpipe, none. I can locate supplemental water tanks under the floor for long showers when freezing is not a concern (most of the year in So. Cal, but I do go on winter camping trips in the local mountains.) As a year-round part of the water system, the damping device can't go down there despite the extra space, you see.
-SilverSausage

Old 09-23-2007, 06:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Camping World sells a FloJet RV High Volume Water Pressure System (#13247) that includes the pump, strainer and an integrated 1.2 gal accumulator tank. I'd feel more comfortable investing in one of those than what you're proposing.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using a standpipe instead of an accumulator to damp water pump pulses. A standpipe consists of a vertical piece as large of a diameter pipe as possible, and as tall as possible, capped on the top with the bottom teed into the water system. The principle is, air in the pipe compresses and forms a "cushion" in the system to damp pulses and provide a small pressure reserve between pulses during slow flow.

The advantage of using this is it can be incorporated into the wall, as opposed to an accumulator tank, which takes up precious cubic inches inside the trailer.

-SilverSausage
It is what I would do. Saves time and money.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using a standpipe instead of an accumulator to damp water pump pulses. ... ... provide a small pressure reserve between pulses during slow flow. ...

-SilverSausage
If you take that approach, be sure to provide a method of airing the standpipe. they will slowly fill with water and quit working if you cannot refill with air. That can be accomplished wiith a valve stem added to the top of the standpipe or you can re-air by draining the system. Of course you may want to consider placing in in an interior wall to provide a measure of 3 season use anyway. You most likely thought of that.

I don't think they will do much to dampen the pump pulses or quiet the pump, just increase the time between pump turn on and off while running a slow stream.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
I don't think they will do much to dampen the pump pulses or quiet the pump, just increase the time between pump turn on and off while running a slow stream.
And that will shorten pump life - the pump will be running longer periods of time under greater load - this could lead to early winding failure.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
SilvrSausage,
Curious mind..
You might want to change your profile from..."currently looking to......whatever the unit you now own..."
Interesting topics..BTW, when boon-docking, Wally used the simplest approach..Just dig a hole out back and, let it go back to nature's bio..

Works..but, not legal..
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #11
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Can't Touch This

Quote:

-SilverSausage
Yes,
It works great.
Will really help if your having the hammer at turn off.
And it 'recharges' at each drainage.
Your idea is used by many plumbers, as I see it often at the end of a long run.
Most times it is a same size of pipe.
Your going to a upsize would be even better.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
You can increase the capacity of a damper/accumulator by using a bell reducer to a larger size tubing- say 1" or greater.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:

-SilverSausage
There are purpose built stand pipe or "water hammer" damping devices sold in the plumbing departments of most big box home stores They are generally a little larger then the diameter of the pipe you will be attaching it to I have one in my garage at the sink - it's one inch in diameter and 18" long attached to 1/2" copper pipe. It has a rubber bladder which compresses when hit with a slam of a shut of in the water system. The rubber bladder eliminates the need for air entrapment by draining. Really quiets the plumbing but would have no effect to reduce water pump cycling in a trailer - not enough bladder volume like an accumulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watre hammer.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	45901  
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I did this very thing at a house I once owned which had water hammer issues and it soved the problem. The downside though was that after a while the air bubble traped in the column under pressure would eventually dissolve into the water and leave the standpipe full of water and ineffective as a hydraulic shock absorber. I put a valve in the top of the pipe which I could open when the water pressure was relieved to admit some more air.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote