Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Untimely huge leak (pouring)

2013 Flying Cloud 25RB. Just unhooked and set up. Turned on power & water. Turned on the water heater to electric. Shortly after I smelled some smoke and went outside. Water is pouring from around the low point valves & it is hot water. I shut everything down. Behind the heater I found a yellow capped valve and closed off the hot water about 80%. I cannot fully shut down the hot water. You can hear water going through around the heater (buzzing). Any suggestions or go home?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Make sure your low point drain valves are completely closed.

Is the hot water coming out both low point drain lines, or just the hot water?

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Check this

If the hot water heater input valve was shut off, and the low point drain was open, as you would do when winterizing, There would be no water in the hot water tank and water gushing out of the low point drain causing the symptoms you described.

When you turned the hot water input valve and thought you were closing it, you might have then actually opened it, allowing water to fill the hot water tank but it was then running out the low point drain as it exited the tank.

As prior poster suggested, first check and close the low point drains, there should be one for hot and one for cold. Then make sure the hot water inlet valve is open, the hot water pressure relief valve is closed, and the hot water drain plug is properly tightened.

You should also check the low point and drain valves on the fresh water supply tank. Also check to see if the under kitchen sink water filter is in place if you have one.

Sounds like your coach was left in its "winterized" state.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
This unit has never been winterized, In fact I can not even find the "H" cutoff valve. I live in the deep South, so it has not been an issue. The water is coming from around the low point valves, not out of them. The system worked fine yesterday. This morning I found leakage under my kitchen sink. Yesterday I hit a couple hard pavement joints on South Carolina construction on I-85. I am thinking something or a tank has busted loose. I notice the bans holding the fresh water tank seems to be bowed. I will post a pic. Any more ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	380229  
Old 10-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
If you take the interior apart a little you can expose the water heater. Shut off the cold water inlet valve and see if you still have a leak. If yes you have a cold water line leak somewhere, if no open up the inlet valve and see if the leak commences after the tank fills up. If no, it is not in the hot water system. If yes it is either the heater or some part of the plumbing downstream from the heater.

It's hard to see a heater leak because the access is poor. Heaters can leak due to corrosion or a damaged flange fitting. Usually have to remove heater to check it since it is covered with a styrene foam jacket. Takes two people to do that.

Under sink can be drain or water supply. I have had leaks both places. Drain gets jostled by stuff under the sink and comes lose. Water filter leaks if gasket is missing.

Have had fresh water tank leaks at hose connecting drain valve to tank. It comes off if you hit something that moves the tank inside its cover. Could have happened when you hit the bump or bumped the tank on a curb somewhere.

Tanks also leak due to failure at a flange mounting, caused by a combination of overtightening and tank movement. Have to drop the tank to repair it or replace it.

Good luck troubleshooting and correcting your leak.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote