Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #1

1977 27' Overlander
alexandria , Kentucky
I have a 77 overlander with a water leak under the bath tub. How do I repair the leak without taking the bath tub out?
Vic Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Remembering that there are differences between the years, I just took the bathroom apart, including all of the rivets holding the tub in (but not the tub drain) to fix my under the tub water leak. I strongly recommend replacing with PEX if you go to this effort, AND if you can get away without using water in the trailer this season, you may want to include refinishing your bathroom as a part of this project.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, guys,

I had a crack in the sit-down shower of my 79's shower bottom, so I took it out and fiberglassed up the crack. When I got ready to put it back in, I thought about how much fun it was taking out.

Then I said, "Hmm."

I put it back in with stainless sheet metal screws, left out the trim with the plastic centers, and substituted brass-colored extruded aluminum carpet edgers through which I drilled the holes. For sealing, I used the G.E. stuff guaranteed to remain flexible for 50 years. I'll be in either my next life or something strange and wonderful or terrible or oblivion by then. (How's that for covering all the bases?)

Anyway, it's going to be a LOT easier to take out if I ever have to do it again. (It had two previous repairs on the bottom.)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Is the 79's shower made of the same plastic material as the 72's? Did you use fiberglass cloth? I used fiberglass cloth and Gorilla glue to restore my air conditioner cover and was extremely pleased with the results. I am considering doing edging repairs along the edges where many holes have been drilled for new rivets with the same technique. Apparently my POs made several repairs too.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 08-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Mark,

I don't know. It looks like the same kind of plastic that my '75 Argosy has for the bathtub. I used one of the cheap fiberglass body kits from Advance Auto. I bought two and ended up using only one. This time, I ran it all around the lower edge in about a 6"/4" path with the widest strip on the bottom and about five layers all together. It's been holding for over 6 months now.

I, too, had many holes from past repairs. I just glooped the up with the sealant and then put my carpet edging strips in place. Then I held up the edging and drilled new holes right through it, the tub, and the wall.

I won't get any extra credit for craftsmanship, but the next time it comes out, it won't be a war.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Well, I certainly appreciate the info. I do envy the easy of your next repair. I'm banking on PEX solving my main reasons for getting under the tub. I do plan to take the bathroom fully apart again to coat everything with POR 15. I think that will be a winter job. When I do that, I will replace the Univolt, since that job will be easier to do with the tub out. Replacing the Univolt isn't a job that is needed at this point. There is a chance that I will put off the bathroom coat until I do need to replace the Univolt and I have to get under the tub to pull it out.

We'll just have to wait and see.