Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #1

1970 25' Tradewind
Springville , California
Tub/shower control valves overhaul

Hi all - i have a 1970 Airstream Land Yacht Trade Winds and need to rebuild the tub/shower controls. No real luck find matching parts at the local hardware store and Inland RV in So. CA no longer stocks.

In a perfect world i would find stems, seats, and caps with proper stem packing. Handles also.

Also, i need to replace the flexy line to the telephone style shower handle.

Thanx

I'm George Middleton in CA

georgemafm@gmail.com
georgemafm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi, George, and welcome to Airforums.com!

Your tap is probably made by one of the major home plumbing manufacturers. Our '74 is made by Moen, for example.

I don't know if yours is made by Moen, too, but that brand has a lifetime guarantee.

Why don't you post some photos of your faucet, so we can see what it is. You may be able to get parts at Lowes of Home Depot, or free, if it's a Moen!

Let us know if you need help posting photos.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
George
I overhauled both the tub/shower single control in our 77. They are MOEN. Now when I went to LOWES I did find the replacement valve,but the nice man in Plumbing mentioned,"Hey Look at this valve here,its the same thing,just has a different name on it. YEP after doing some research I find the company that makes the off brand actually makes the valves for MOEN.So thats what I bought. I layed them out together and except for being old I cant tell the difference because there is none. THE OFF BRAND IS THE SAME but at a much better price. I'm sorry I have thrown away the cartons and cant find the name,SORRY
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemafm View Post
In a perfect world i would find stems, seats, and caps with proper stem packing. Handles also.

Also, i need to replace the flexy line to the telephone style shower handle.
The shower valve on my bathtub is a cartridge, and mine came with the necessary rubber O rings (2 or three, IIRC) and the correct teflon grease to use as you re-assemble it.

Again, if it's a Moen, be sure you get the little tool that allows you to loosen the old cartridge. It goes over the stem and allows you to turn the entire cartridge with a wrench, so as to loosen it. Without that I doubt that mine would have come off. Even with it, I had a battle.

The flexy line is another standard part. You don't need any special type, it seems like they all have the same screw-on fittings.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote