Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Sulphur Springs , Texas
Trap Vent , Sink Stopped up.

My kitchen sink is not draining well. My son was outside right after we washed dishes. He said water was pouring out from under the trailer. I checked under the sink and noticed water pouring out the vent trap, leak down into the under belly and then it out of the trailer. I have no idea how long this has been happening. I used a drain opener to see if that would help (safe for plastic). The same thing is happening. I tried a snake, I didn't feel it catch anything on its way down and then it hit a curve I couldn't get it around. Maybe I need a different style snake, this is a sink snake and is not very flexible. I took everything apart under the sink and have ruled out any clogs past where I can reach. My shower and bathroom sink are draining fine. My grey water tank is open.

Any ideas? Has this happened to any one else? Any ideas on somewhere I can access further down the line?
Shehanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic S/O
Manor , Texas
Hi,

We're having a VERY similar issue, if not the same. We'll keep you posted if we figure out what the problem is.
txoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Obviously if water is leaking out of the belly pan something is loose or has broken in the drain side of your sink. Drain cleaner safe for plastic might do terrible damage to the wood sub floor so dig into the problem right away! I know that the trap fittings are hand tightened and can come loose so first check all of those. I am not familiar with your model, but some of these fittings can be concealed behind the back wall of the sink cabinet. On my 2012, I found that a wall between a floor cabinet and water heater was held in place by magnetic drawer clasps. Didn't take any tools, just some maneuvering. Pull everything out of the cabinet, get a flashlight and go looking. Trace all the pipes as far as you can (Oh and if you DON'T have carpet use Koolaid to color the water so the leak is easier to see.) If you don't find anything above the subfloor, it's time to drop the belly pan, pull the insulation and keep looking.

Find this FAST. I'd presume that some of the drain cleaner got onto the subfloor! Hopefully it's a small area, but until it's completely dry the drain cleaner could keep on working and cellulose (wood) will be affected by it.

Paula
Old 01-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you drop the belly pan, please be super careful. Unless your drain cleaner was 100% enzyme based it's got lye in it and the potential for serious skin and eye damage exists. If there is ANY warning about washing eyes or skin immediately upon contact, presume it's lye based.

I don't do a LOT of my own maintenance, but I have already dropped my belly pan (Had floor rot on #2, fanatic about avoiding it on "Eddie") I'm not slender or particularly agile, so I raised mine about six inches to allow easy access (and easy escape if spiders or mice dropped out!). I used three 2 x 10's screwed together with a ramp cut on one end and just rode the wheels up on them after making sure the cement floor I was on was level. Then I chocked all the wheels. Still gave me the willies being under it, so next time I'll rent some jack stands too.

Do suit up to protect yourself from the drain cleaner (and from the nasty fiberglass too).

Hope it turns out to be a small easily fixed problem,

Very Sincerely, Paula
Old 01-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Well I'm not a plumber but I don't think the air admittance valve should leak unless it has failed.
At rest it is spring loaded closed and water going up the admittance pipe would only seal the valve tighter.
The valve opens when water going "out" the drain pipe pulls the valve down allowing air into the drain pipe.

Not sure if this will help but you might try another air admittance valve they just screw in and not expensive.