Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
Tote tank travel location?

For owners of older Airstreams…. Our 1970 Tradewind does not have a grey water tank. I purchased a tote tank for campgrounds (Georgia State Parks do not have sewer hook ups.
My question - where’s the tank ride?

We pull with a Suburban and preferably not inside. Maybe not on the roof either.

Any ideas?

Thanks, G_Ranch
G-Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
On our 2020 23FB, I installed an A-frame tool box above the battery box and set our 10 gallon tote on top of it. It is snugged up to the propane tank cover with bungee cords, with closed cell foam to prevent scuffing of the finished surfaces on the trailer.
Are you asking how to transport to the dump station?
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
Tote tank

The tote tank dimensions will not allow travel storage between propane tanks and front wall - unfortunately. Really no good solution on the Airstream or TV. May have to strap it on top of the Suburban.
Just hoping someone smarter than me had already had a stroke of genius. 🤔
Old 11-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Before breaking camp I clean ours out really well, pour a half cup of bleach inside and put it inside the AS. On arrival at the next locale it goes under the AS. Wife hasn't complained yet and I can't detect any smell either.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:49 AM   #5
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
The inside option seems more manageable. Definitely will n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
Before breaking camp I clean ours out really well, pour a half cup of bleach inside and put it inside the AS. On arrival at the next locale it goes under the AS. Wife hasn't complained yet and I can't detect any smell either.
Definitely will be clean inside and out before going inside the Airstream. I was hoping that would work. Our front bed configuration lends itself to a big bulky but light weight item to be stored below. Thanks for confirmation.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
I do the same but place it in a heavy duty contractor bag. I thought about better solutions however it only occasionally comes with us.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Something like this might work
https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...a-524253905948

I’m not sure how difficult access to the propane tanks would be. I guess you could always just leave the propane cover at home. I don’t think it’s really needed or just use a vinyl cover.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
There is a patch of Velcro on the back of our tank cover. A PO possibly had one attached back there and let it ride on top of the battery box and secured to the tank cover. I don't like having something riding there for safety reasons. If you clean it out and up, put the bleach inside and let it dry before putting it inside it's much better. We have an SUV also and it just takes up too much room. We prefer to make most of that area available to the dog to wander around. (She wears a securing harness, however.)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
Tote tank mounting

Part of the discussion on mounting would be dependent on which tote tank.

I have a Thetford and a Barker. Both around 35 gallons.

The Thetford is thinnest and fits behind the propane tanks. And it is horribly difficult and awkward to use. One in/out and a hose held on with a 4”hose clamp. Not secure. It comes off easily. And often. Horrid. It is a 2 wheel model which has to be lifted to dump. 35 pounds of sewage is heavy. OK. Enough on the Thetford rant…

The Barker also fits well behind the propane tanks, but there is a catch. I have to remove the the cover and switch to my older, taller, skinnier aluminum propane tanks. But the Barker is a 4 wheeled dream compared to the Thetford. I only lift it to get the last few ounces out.

I do not have a Camco, but looking at it I can’t see how it would work behind the tanks.

I tow with a Yukon and have limited options like you. But I feel like I have the blue boy issue sorted out well.

Another word from experience… when going from low altitude to high altitude the tank expands significantly. Vent the tank before pulling it out from behind the propane tanks.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:00 AM   #10

2012 28' International
Baxter , Minnesota
We decided to piggy back ours on the tonneau cover of our pickup with a custom made cover. Looks and works great. You can probably do something like this on the roof if your SUV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211130_115554.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	408600  
Troser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:43 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Send a message via Skype™ to AirGT65
On the road, our 18 gallon Thetford gray water tank fits very neatly and firmly in the shower pan of our 1966 Globe Trotter. The tank hose cap seal keeps water from draining out of the tank when traveling.
I'm curious why there is an odor issue with a gray water tank. Since the gray water tank only receives the water from our sinks (we don't use the trailer shower - too messy), and the trailer's separate black water tank holds the sewer water, there is no problem with odor. At a dump station we hook up the "slinky-stinky" hose, open the sewer valve and drain the black water tank, as usual. I put some deodorizer and water down the toilet to slosh around in the black tank on the way home.
AirGT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Kennesaw , Georgia
I wanted to get a tote for our 2014 27FB Serenity and originally ordered a Rhino brand (28gal). Sent to back because the thing was way to big, almost the size of a Bambi!!!
So I measured the space behind the propane compartment and found the Barker 15 gal fits great. The 15 gal on Amazon was $105 and is the smallest Barker Tote to have the tow bracket included. We used this tote for a 2 week stay at the Kentucky Horse Park campground. It’s held in place with bungee cords and a security cable around the A frame.

Barker 11747 Tote Tank - 15 Gallon Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00069C7QA...MYG0HSA7PY5R6D
ppppino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGT65 View Post
I'm curious why there is an odor issue with a gray water tank. Since the gray water tank only receives the water from our sinks (we don't use the trailer shower - too messy), and the trailer's separate black water tank holds the sewer water, there is no problem with odor.
After the AS has been sitting in the Florida sun for several days, the gray water (to me) smells worse than the black water. We use the camp facilities for poo so it's just wee in the black tank. Still, that odor is very strong so we don't want it inside the AS unless it's clean. We put the bleach in before heading back home again and then it is okay for a very long time, even after being in storage.

We don't use the shower either but I don't want to carry the portable tank all the way to the back. It's nearly the last thing inside and the first thing out. It sits under the R/F corner until needed.

We normally carry our kayak on the roof of the TV and it's about 95 lbs. I know the portable tank is light but keeping it inside the AS is our strategy and it works for us.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-30-2021, 05:18 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dry Branch , Georgia
tote

I thought about if you are not going to use the toilet you could add a valve at the end of your drain, have it closed. then open the valve on black tank then grey water would go into black water tank and not need a tote.
Buckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:17 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troser View Post
We decided to piggy back ours on the tonneau cover of our pickup with a custom made cover. Looks and works great. You can probably do something like this on the roof if your SUV.
Smart!
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote