Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Gilbert , Arizona
toilet mount not directly above black tank?

Im in the middle of a gutted trailer renovation and don't have a great spot for the toilet to go that would be directly over a black tank. the perfect location would be just to the outside of the frame rail. that would require a 90 degree or so bend to the toilet drain that leads to the black tank mounted just inside the frame rail. there is already a hole through the frame at this point. and previously this is how a toilet was mounted however no tanks or plumbing came with this trailer. the overall run of the line would be less than 6-8 inches id imagine. only a 2 inch or so frame rail.
Schneider591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My toilet is not directly over the tank. My toilet is on a wooden box pedestal. The toilet flange has an elbow on it and then a 4 to 6 inch piece of straight pipe that goes into the tank.
CRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
The set up in my 345 motor home is like CRH describes, the elbow seems to be about a 60 degree turn, and works fine. I would think having some fall/downward slope in all sections the line would be a good idea.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Alternatively you could go with a quality composting toilet and do away with the black tank.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
In my opinion, an elbow like that would cause problems with material movement. At a minimum you would need to use a whole lot more water when flushing which will make camping without water & sewer hookups less enjoyable. If you must have such an arrangement, I would #1 consider a composting toilet, or #2 look into a macerating toilet which will break down the solids and make it easier to move them to where you want them to be.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Push the pettle part way down and fill the toilet a couple of inches or more, this facilitates the waste to go on down. My Avion needs to have this done to flush properly.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
As Richard states, a small downward slope of the pipe into the black tank is needed, and as CHR points out, mounting the toilet on a low pedestal will accomplish the desired slope. Happy plumbing!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote