Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Point Pleasant , New Jersey
Toilet filling with water

So I hooked up to city water and my son used the toilet and after flushing added more water to the bowl. We have a FC 30ft bunk 30ft. It has a macerator toilet.

Anyhow the only way to avoid water over filling and into our trailer was the fact my 11 year old kept flushing the toilet till I arrived. Now inside I simply closed off the valve behind the toliet manually and it stopped.

With our unit you have to add water to the bowl by pressing the fill button on the bath vanity and the press the flush button. Also on the vanity is a dry flush for before travel as I understand.

So my first guess is a stuck button. That is continually filling water to the bowl. So I first take pic and disconnect the flush and fill buttons under vanity. Then once again open up the valve behind the toilet to allow water to flow when requested with fill button. Well the water keeps filling even with the fill button disconnected.

So how does a toilet fill and not stop filling? Why would that happen.

I also disconnected from city water and turned on water pump and relied on the fresh water I filled before our trip and the water kept filling from toilet.

Really perplexed on this one
thoreau2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Cedar Park , Texas
How did you solve this problem? I appear to have the same issue!
marcesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Omg I’ve been dealing with this same problem for weeks. We have to flush then turn the valve off behind the toilet every time after adding a little water to the bowl to stop bad odors coming from the tanks. I’ve found the water does stop after anxiously standing over watching it as the water levels rise to top and stay at that high level for a minute or two. Then the water that keeps adding to the toilet eventually stops and subsides slowly. This will only happen if the black tanks are nearly empty. If the levels are high in the blank tank it will over flow the toilet. I’ve had the toilet over flow twice already. I also have a 30ft bunkhouse (2016) please if anybody has any ideas it could save any more earache from the wife.
I’ve tried disconnecting from shore power for a while and running on batteries alone to see if it would reset the brain off the circuit board. All fuses are good also. Still no luck.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St James , New York
2018 Flying Cloud when flushing black water tank, it fills freshwater tank. Want is goin on???
Tiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Cedar Park , Texas
We may have different issues, but I believe I have isolated my problem, and I have ordered a replacement part.

I have a Dometic Sealand 8120 toilet that has a remote water valve - it's a 12 V relay that naturally closes the water valve and opens when you activate the 12 V switch to fill the toilet with water. Upon inspection, my guess is the spring that closes the valve in my remote water valve has gone bad.

Although this is a slightly different part number, this is what it looks like (and is the part that I ordered):
Dometic 385311545: https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com...valve-assembly

The part # for exact replacement is Dometic 385311882. The one I ordered appears to just have a different fitting screwed on and the '545 part looks identical otherwise.

For my issue, whenever I have water pressure (such as, from the PUMP or city water), the remote water valve is open and allows the toilet to fill. My water fill switch next to the toilet is operational, but the remote water valve is not responding to the 12 V signal.

The remote water valve is behind the narrow drawers in the kitchen, above the Pump. It was fairly easy to unscrew and remove, but make sure your water is turned off!

Upon disassembly, it was clear that my remote water valve was not acting like a valve at all - it was not closing under spring pressure. The replacement part should arrive this week, so I'll update this shortly.

For others with similar issues, you should review the manuals:
http://marinesan.com/v/8100%20Master...tall%20ENG.pdf

Reference page 9, but note that the water valve in the manual IS NOT REMOTE. It is attached to the toilet, but it appears to be the exact same valve. Also, there is some brass check valve on mine, which i temporarily removed to remove the remote water valve.

@ILOVESALLY - I suspect you may have the same issue, but your water filling the toilet shutting off at all is odd - you may have a slow valve that hasn't entirely failed yet? Or you may have another valve that is on your toilet? I haven't tested mine to see what happens when the water is about to overfill!
Old 02-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
@marcesq Awesome I will try and locate this valve. It sounds like the same problem. My water does finally stop when it gets to the top then you see it drain down to half way or so. Thankyou for responding. I have something to try to hopefully fix the problem
Old 02-05-2019, 05:37 AM   #7
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffin View Post
2018 Flying Cloud when flushing black water tank, it fills freshwater tank. Want is goin on???
What?

Tell us more.

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVESALLY View Post
@marcesq Awesome I will try and locate this valve. It sounds like the same problem. My water does finally stop when it gets to the top then you see it drain down to half way or so. Thankyou for responding. I have something to try to hopefully fix the problem

Short update - the replacement worked but I needed to reuse some pieces from the prior assembly, including the mount and a gasket/seal.

Good luck!