Old 03-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Cincinnati , Ohio
Suburban IW60 Water Heater Drainage Problem

I have a 2019 Nest equipped with the Suburban IW60 tankless on demand water heater. Ive started the de-winterization process and encountered a problem in which I am unable to stop the unit from constant drainage out of the under trailer heater drainage tube when connected to city water. There is spring controlled drainage control knob inside the heater unit that was set clockwise to drain the heater unit during winterization, along with setting the plumbing to bypass the heater. I have hooked up city water, and reversed the winterization process, coming off bypass and also turning the drainage control knob counter-clockwise (and clockwise as well - neither seems to work). The city water continues to flow out of the heater drainage outlet/tube below the trailer. If I go back to bypass mode the drainage stops, so I know it is the heater drainage tube underneath (plus I have traced it out of the unit). I did notice that the city water flow from the kitchen faucet, when open, will diminish somewhat when I turn the drainage knob from the counter-clockwise to clockwise position. I believe this suggests that the drainage valve may not be working properly when the knob is turned counter-clockwise but wanted to check if anyone else has encountered this constant drainage issue with the Suburban IW60 Water Heater and found a way to resolve it. My thanks for any suggestions.
RPB53FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Look at page 7 of the IW60 manual about Freeze Protection. Perhaps that is out of adjustment or malfunctioning:

FREEZE PROTECTION
The NAUTILUS (IW60) On Demand water heater has built-in FREEZE PROTECTION and will intermittently cycle the burner when the water temperature has fallen below 40F(4.4C). This intermittent cycling will continue until the water temperature has risen above 50F(10.0C). To provide this freeze protection, gas and electrical must be turned on.
If the On Demand Water Heater is dripping water into the drain line, in cold weather, when the water supply temperature is below 38F and does not stop when the water temperature rises above 38F, call your local service center. The valve may be disabled by turning the needle valve located on the front of the On Demand Water Heater 6 and 1/2 turns clockwise. Closing the valve will disable the mechanical freeze protection feature. The water system must be drained when not in use to avoid damage caused by ice expanding in water lines if valve is closed.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Page 8 has a diagram showing the location of the valve.

Our thread:
Old 03-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks very much for pointing me to this potential solution. I’ll try turning off the Freeze Protection needle valve and see if that stops the constant drainage.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Cincinnati , Ohio
Solved the problem

Closing the Freeze Protection needle valve solved the problem. Thanks again for pointing me to the solution.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Keep in mind you still have a problem if the freeze valve is not working. Once the businesses are back up I'd talk to your dealer about getting it fixed.

Our thread:
Old 03-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks and will do!
Old 03-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Actually, DON'T WAIT!

Call your dealer and/or Airstream now so they have a record of the problem. Airstream said that if they know warranty work needed to be delayed due to Covid-19 they would still cover it even if done after warranty expires.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks! Great advice. I will be contacting them this week.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #10
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPB53FL View Post
I have a 2019 Nest equipped with the Suburban IW60 tankless on demand water heater. Ive started the de-winterization process and encountered a problem in which I am unable to stop the unit from constant drainage out of the under trailer heater drainage tube when connected to city water. There is spring controlled drainage control knob inside the heater unit that was set clockwise to drain the heater unit during winterization, along with setting the plumbing to bypass the heater. I have hooked up city water, and reversed the winterization process, coming off bypass and also turning the drainage control knob counter-clockwise (and clockwise as well - neither seems to work). The city water continues to flow out of the heater drainage outlet/tube below the trailer. If I go back to bypass mode the drainage stops, so I know it is the heater drainage tube underneath (plus I have traced it out of the unit). I did notice that the city water flow from the kitchen faucet, when open, will diminish somewhat when I turn the drainage knob from the counter-clockwise to clockwise position. I believe this suggests that the drainage valve may not be working properly when the knob is turned counter-clockwise but wanted to check if anyone else has encountered this constant drainage issue with the Suburban IW60 Water Heater and found a way to resolve it. My thanks for any suggestions.
Hi RPB53FL,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to hearing back from you.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 03-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi RPB53FL,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to hearing back from you.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Thanks Airstream. I just sent the private message with my contact info.