Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2003, 07:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Standing Water!How to get rid of it?

Now I know why AIRSTREAMERS call this addiction with their trailers a Life Long Problem- We noticed some wettness around the outside rim of the shower base. I took off the rear camper access cover & I could see all the pipes & saw no leaks . I open the closet door which is next to the shower & I can folow those pipes & see no leaks..but I do see standing water beneath the shower stall floor & I see the drain pipe from the shower submerged in the water. I go underneath the trailer & can see nothing(There are a few openings in the underbelly) -my question- why is there standing water there? How do I get it out?The opening is really only 2-3inches at the most that I can see this water ,when I'm in the closet.Whats underneath the shower subfloor?
Chitown AirStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Did these trailers have an open top grey water tank??
Old 07-27-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Unless it was retofitted by a PO the 66 did not have a grey tank.

In the closet there is a vent pipe, have you checked your gaskets. This is a frequent entry point for water. Under the tub/shower there is just normal flooring. If you have a cracked drain line or a leaking tub/shower drain it could be letting water leak. Has the tub/shower been used lately? I remember that on a prior thread you mentioned running alot of water thru your water system, I know the sprayer is a frequent leaker, you can get replacements at the local big box store. I would check the sprayer to hose connection.

It may be an addiction, but you want to find the source. Replacing the floor will make the polishing job look easy. Ther is really no way to get to the underside here as the tank and pan are between the bellypan and the floor.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

The shower has not been used- we're waiting for the new faucet/shower fixture. So I have no idea where this water is coming from. I'm at a lost
Old 07-27-2003, 08:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
As a precursor to polishing...did you wash the trailer? If so, water could have come down the vent pipe or through faulty gaskets as Brett suggested...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

If water did come down a vent stack- how do you get rid of the standing water??
Old 07-27-2003, 08:37 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Either jack the front of the trailer Waaaaay up so it can run out the back, or shop vac it and get some air movement to dry the floor.

Check that vent stack and sprayer in the counter. If you are not using the tub, there is nowhere else for it to come from.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-27-2003, 08:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Is there a plastic "cup" in the floor for clearance for the shower trap?

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:13 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

The water does seem to be in a cup- a large cup underneath the stall...
Old 07-27-2003, 09:14 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

...what is this cup for....
Old 07-27-2003, 09:39 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
The cup is to insulate the P trap and to give access to it for replacement purposes. Usally they are accessable thru the belly pan, but sometimes you have to pull part of the pan it to get to the cup. Water in the cup is a sign that the p-trap in the tub is leaking for some reason. This could be water that has backed into the trap from your system flushing.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-27-2003, 09:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Sounds interesting.....When I looked in the tub drain-there was a little water-Could be the trap like you said. I may just take the trailer to a dealer in the morning & have him look at it. Taking apart the underbelly is not something I'm ready for.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:12 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Part#2-Found the cause of water leak!

Okay-there is a rather large cup like device that the shower ptrap sits in to insulate it. I took one of the tub side covers off & after rigging up a high suction water vacum- got all the standing water out of the above mentioned cup. I then ran water thru the system & discovered that I have a leak(a large one) from one of the down pipes to the p-trap. .When water drains thru my system-there is a Y connection that allows the shower drain to merge in the main drain pipe. Water when draining- even though I'm not using the shower goes past the"Y" & some water goes back into the "Y". Because of some type of crack or looseness in the P Trap I have water leaking into the Cup-it then fills up & spills over the edge. My question is how can I get to the P Trap with out having to take out the entire shower stall. The leak is at the P Trap & or the pipe after theY going to the P Trap? I talked to a AIRSTREAM service man at the Airstream dealer here in Illinois -he told me I shouldnt take the bottom skin off to access the Ptrap...I think thats easier than taking out a 30+ year old plastic tub-that could crack! Any Suggestions. Thanks to everyone that helped me out last nite! I love this forum-AIRSTREAM folks are the best!!!
Old 07-28-2003, 10:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Part#2-Found the cause of water leak!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chitown AirStreamers
Okay-there is a rather large cup like device that the shower ptrap sits in to insulate it. I took one of the tub side covers off & after rigging up a high suction water vacum- got all the standing water out of the above mentioned cup. I then ran water thru the system & discovered that I have a leak(a large one) from one of the down pipes to the p-trap. .When water drains thru my system-there is a Y connection that allows the shower drain to merge in the main drain pipe. Water when draining- even though I'm not using the shower goes past the"Y" & some water goes back into the "Y". Because of some type of crack or looseness in the P Trap I have water leaking into the Cup-it then fills up & spills over the edge. My question is how can I get to the P Trap with out having to take out the entire shower stall. The leak is at the P Trap & or the pipe after theY going to the P Trap? I talked to a AIRSTREAM service man at the Airstream dealer here in Illinois -he told me I shouldnt take the bottom skin off to access the Ptrap...I think thats easier than taking out a 30+ year old plastic tub-that could crack! Any Suggestions. Thanks to everyone that helped me out last nite! I love this forum-AIRSTREAM folks are the best!!!
Personnaly, I would go down to the local metal supply place and buy a 2x2ft section of aluminum and some rivits and go at it from the bottom.

If yours is anything like our 59 then all the plumbing will be easily accessible from the botom . I acually have to replace the floor under our Bath area and quite possibly for the same reason you just found. I'm installing a removable section in the belly in case I have any need to get that the plumbing in the future.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:55 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Yeah- that may be the best way to go. Our bathromm - is in pretty good condition- & we would hate to crack a piece of it. We just don't know if removing a panel from the bottom will give us access to the p-trap with that cup there.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:05 AM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
I think the cup is attached to the underside of the floor for this very reason, access. It may be tight, but once the cup is removed you should be able to get the busted fitting out and replace and reglue in the space given.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-28-2003, 01:05 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

NewKid64 I cut a small piece of the underbelly out-removed the Ptrap cup & was able to fine the broken pipe. Thanks again.