Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Shower vacuum breaker leaking

The vacuum breaker in our shower is leaking badly in our 1999 Safari. Has anyone experienced this and if so, how did you fix it? Also, has anyone taken one apart? Being on vacation for 3 more weeks in remote Colorado, I'd hate to take it apart and make it worse so any help would be appreciated. The part is an Alsons Vacuum Breaker part #4900. Does anyone know were I can order one in case I can't get help fixing this one? Although it doesn't show in the pic, the rubber gasket is in place where the hose connects to the vacuum breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	245556  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Replacing it is best. Here is a thread covering the same thing:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...ml#post1264905

The Hansgrohe product mentioned there is not expensive.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Thanks Tim! I'll check Amazon.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Tim, got the new part an water comes out of the holes you see in the attached pic around the core. There is as much or more coming out of these holes than out of the shower wand. It appers that is the way it is suppose to work. The check valve works not letting any back flow into the main line. Do you know if this is the way it should work? Anyone else please feel free to chime in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	245995  
Old 08-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Same problem for us. Too much water coming out . I took the vacuum breaker off, connected the hose straight to the fixture.

The purpose of the vacuum breaker is to keep water in the shower head from backing down the hose, contaminating the fresh water. Just keep the shower head out of the toilet.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiestreamer View Post
Tim, got the new part an water comes out of the holes you see in the attached pic around the core. There is as much or more coming out of these holes than out of the shower wand. It appers that is the way it is suppose to work. The check valve works not letting any back flow into the main line. Do you know if this is the way it should work? Anyone else please feel free to chime in.
No, that is not the way it should work and is definitely not how mine works. I suggest returning it to Amazon as defective. A couple of reviews mention that it does what you mention under very low flow. You can find other brands on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...qid=1440263941

Sandlapper is right about the purpose of the thing. Standing water in the shower is also a potential contaminant.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Ok and thanks. I'll send this one back and do the direct connection. We'll be boondockin for a few days so I couldn't imagine that leaking was the way is should work -wasting a lot of water. Thanks again and we'll order a another brand from Amazon.