Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Shower drain Hepvo trap

2015 Classic, shower is draining kind of slow, and wanted to remove the Hepvo waterless trap and clean the hair out of it, but want to find out if anyone has performed this task? Looks like the Hepvo was assembled with some healthy doses of plumbers compound, the hardening kind. Not a lot of room to work in the space either, so I'm wondering how someone went about this before I tackle it. The bathroom sink is apart not to replace the sink stopper.
rbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You may have done this search already, but FYI and FWIW here are the mentions of that drain valve, scattered throughout Airforums:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hepv...=airforums.com

I seem to recall some mentions of taking some out.

Good luck,

Peter

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Sounds like you only have a couple of choices. You may try a 1/2” water hose with the brass end cut off and see if you can shoot some water with pressure to blow out the Hepvo. If you try and run a plumber’s snake in there you’ll ruin the duck bilked flapper in the Hepvo. Or, try with effort to unscrew it. If it’s stiff plumber’s putty, you may try torquing it toward tight to break the putty bond, then unscrew. Sorry, haven’t heard of this issue. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I replaced the bath sink Hepco in my 2016 Classic last year - it was clogged with soap scum, probably from using minimal water to wash our hands. Luckily our shower drain still runs ok, probably because showering uses more water.

A repair technician at Airstream told me that the shower Hepvo is much tougher to replace and that soaking it with white vinegar can disolve the soap scum to make it run better without replacing it. I'll definitely try that if the shower drain ever slows down. I might even decide to treat all our Hepvos with white vinegar annually (or more frequently) to keep them running.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:10 AM   #5
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You may have done this search already, but FYI and FWIW here are the mentions of that drain valve, scattered throughout Airforums:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hepv...=airforums.com

I seem to recall some mentions of taking some out.

Good luck,

Peter

FYI
FWIW
thank you for your help and best wishes
Old 05-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
When you get the hair all cleaned out, I recommend you keep a drain protector in the drain to prevent hair from going down. Mine looks like this. I have one for home as well and they work great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2319.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	367635  
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
When you get the hair all cleaned out, I recommend you keep a drain protector in the drain to prevent hair from going down. Mine looks like this. I have one for home as well and they work great.
Not sure that will fit in rbs’s drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
2015 Classic, shower is draining kind of slow, and wanted to remove the Hepvo waterless trap and clean the hair out of it, but want to find out if anyone has performed this task? Looks like the Hepvo was assembled with some healthy doses of plumbers compound, the hardening kind. Not a lot of room to work in the space either, so I'm wondering how someone went about this before I tackle it. The bathroom sink is apart not to replace the sink stopper.
Will that drain protector fit in your drain? I thought the Hepvo drain assembly was right up level with the shower floor +/- ?

Peter
Old 05-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
We used a little tool called the Drain Weasel to clean out our shower drain in 2016 International.

Once you clean out the hair, use some sort of shower drain cover - we use something like this - https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Cle...n%2C147&sr=1-7
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bingo!

Easier to clean hair off that kind of filter IMO.

Peter
Old 05-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
Once you get it cleared, consider investing in a TubShroom. Fits perfectly in our shower drain and possibly the best thing I bought for our AS under $20. I clean it off after a couple of showers and glad all that hair is not going down the drain.
Attached Images

StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Ditto on the Tubshroom. Simple, effective design and cheap.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Hepvo recommends high air pressure, so I'll go with the vinegar then rig up something put some pressure into it, then check for success. Thought I would post a picture of the trap and it's tight location. Picture quality not the best, but it would be a challenge, more difficult by the compound used on the joints, hopeful for air pressure/vinegar. Also ordered a Tubshroom. Replacing the bath sink stopper, the OEM disintegrated. Got the time, might as well make things better

Thanks for the help always appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00AC0B12-8D78-483A-BBF3-AE3BE3EE9131_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	367704  
Old 05-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update . . . good luck!

Peter
Old 05-12-2020, 10:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Hepvo recommends high air pressure, so I'll go with the vinegar then rig up something put some pressure into it, then check for success. Thought I would post a picture of the trap and it's tight location. Picture quality not the best, but it would be a challenge, more difficult by the compound used on the joints, hopeful for air pressure/vinegar. Also ordered a Tubshroom. Replacing the bath sink stopper, the OEM disintegrated. Got the time, might as well make things better

Thanks for the help always appreciated
I had to use a pipe wrench to undo the couplers on the Hepvo under the bath sink due to the pipe sealer Airstream used. No way hand strength was enough to undo them. I have no idea how you'd get a pipe wrench on that shower Hepvo given the right space around it.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:03 AM   #15
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
there is absolutely no room to operate a pipe wrench, a strap style wrench would be the only option. In my opinion a person would need to undue the connection at the gray tank and work backwards to remove the waterless trap, in a very awkward body position working in very tight quarters. The waterless trap in the bath sink was a carbon copy of your experience, and I ended up replacing the entire assembly because of damage to the compression nutt on the elbow. Pray you never have to replace the drain assembly in the shower
Old 05-18-2020, 05:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . Pray you never have to replace the drain assembly in the shower
Old 06-29-2022, 03:20 PM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Yes, I realize this is an old thread .....

One "interesting" thing about the Hepvo trap as installed in our Classic:

The right angle that goes from the sink drain to the trap mates "hard" against the trap. There is no gasket or other seal. They simply taper one end of the trap and smash it into a flat surface on the right angle piece. Both are nice hard PVC. Unless those surfaces fully mate (and dig in a bit), you will not get a watertight seal. The treads on the "nut" that pulls things together are not located to take care of this.

What to do? A very standard 1.5" "sliding gasket" just happens to fit there fine. That's no big surprise, it was actually designed to accept that gasket since it will install in a "slide on" fashion. If (contrary to the instructions) you put that gasket back in, it will crust better than the PVC will. It makes a watertight joint a lot quicker than trying to put in 25 pounds of thread seal .... ( I tried the thread seal approach first ).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote