Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Shower drain

Have not taken many showers in our 1999 Excella even though we are full-timing. But took one yesterday cause we have full hookups. There is still water right at the drain. I drained the grey tank yesterday but that did not help.

What next?

Thanks, BadKat
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It is normal to see the water about 1/2" below the rim of the chrome drain. This is the height of the water in the p-trap. Is that what you are seeing?

Edit: on second thought...it's probably more like an inch...but you can definitely see the water in the drain.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A couple of possibilities come to mind. The drain itself could be higher than the surrounding shower floor or the trailer is not exactly level.

Take a 9" to 12" torpedo level into the shower and place over the drain and see if either of those two conditions exist. The former will be more challenging to fix than leveling the trailer. Also, there could be sag due to frame or floor issues on that side of the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Is the trailer level front to back, side to side? That drain is near the bottom of the plumbing so not much slope remaining to the black tank. Or it might be partially plugged.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Wow, great information and so quick. I have only taken 2 showers in it so it was completely drained. Trailer is not completely level. It does not have one of those screw in drain covers. Do I need to get one to catch hair?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Wow, great information and so quick. I have only taken 2 showers in it so it was completely drained. Trailer is not completely level. It does not have one of those screw in drain covers. Do I need to get one to catch hair?
I've never used one. I do, however have a rubber shower drain plug....but that is just for bathing the Grandbaby and plugging the drain in the winter to keep mice from trying to get a drink after snacking on rat poison. Hair seems to get caught on the crossbars of the drain. I don't ever recall having a hair clog issue in any of my trailers over 20 years or so with a shower equipped unit.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
What a great RVing tool to have you guys and this forum. Thanks again!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Doug -- did you mean the "grey tank"? I would hope not bath drain is hooked to the black tank>>>>>>>>>>>

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Is the trailer level front to back, side to side? That drain is near the bottom of the plumbing so not much slope remaining to the black tank. Or it might be partially plugged.

doug k
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My mistake Dave, kitchen sink and shower to grey tank. But on my 2007 and 2012 Airstreams the bath sink drain is hooked to the black tank.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote