RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
We use only Costco TP since most of the brands you mention are not available in Canada. We use plenty of water in our black tank, and we always keep the tank 20% full after we dump/flush so water can slosh around. I also like the 1/4 c Dawn in the tank to reduce surface tension and break things up as we move. We have not had a problem.
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There's a YouTube video testing toilet paper for RV's
The winner was Charmon Ultra Soft. It beat the Camco RV paper.
I have some Scott RV paper that I'll use up before going to the Charmin.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomondnv View Post
Has anyone used the Costco brand toilet paper? It also states "Septic Safe" on the package.
Use it all the time. It was one tested at a local rv show that beat out all the "rv" toilet paper in the shake and disolve test.
Also always make sure to use lots of water.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly of Center Moriches, NY) , South Dakota
I TESTED three-ply Northern Quilted TP. It broke down completely so, that's was I use at home and in my RV.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
We simply drop all toilet paper into the wastebasket, with a plastic liner of course, that so no paper at all goes into our tank. And the answer to your next question is "NO." Things only smell when there is water present, which there isn't in the wastebasket.
Wait, what?
My dog will be glad to know that poop doesn't smell.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #46
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
We have a totally different solution to this "problem." Our solution is a battery operated stainless steel (so it matches our AS!) wastebasket that we keep in the bathroom. When you wave your hand over it, the cover opens - which is what the battery / sensor is for.

We simply drop all toilet paper into the wastebasket, with a plastic liner of course, that so no paper at all goes into our tank. When it gets full, we just dispose of it and add a new liner. Easy.

And the answer to your next question is "NO." Things only smell when there is water present, which there isn't in the wastebasket. The antomatic lid helps also.

We owned a summer house for 30 or so years, and it had an "ify" septic tank and field. We started doing this because of that, and it worked so well for 30 years that we never had to pump it out. We tried once, but there was not enough in there to pump. It sort of tells you how much of a problem TP is to begin with. . . . .

Anyway, we buy any old TP and never worry about it.
We (and many other sailors) use this method too. Nothing that doesn't go through your digestive system first goes into the toilet. Not only does this method avoid the tp clogs it saves on black tanks space.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Sailors??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
We (and many other sailors) use this method too. Nothing that doesn't go through your digestive system first goes into the toilet. Not only does this method avoid the tp clogs it saves on black tanks space.
Sailors do what?? I never had any issues with my tp...U got to get the dissolving kind; Costco is correct for us. I also have used Costco TP over the last 10 years with no issues on any of our 4 different AS rigs. We use the GEO method after each dump, which is 2 cups powdered Borax dissolved in gallon of water and 1 cup water Calgon water softener in a second gallon of water; we add to toilet after dump; sloshes around and keeps tank in good shape for next dump. Never have had any issues with our TP or black tank. (and no stinky TP in our waste baskets in the bathroom either!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
#1 only in the Airstream. Problem solved.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #49
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
#1 only in the Airstream. Problem solved.

Where do you go #2?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:17 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I wish I could have invented RV toilet paper. Is their anybody here that hasn't figured out that it doesn't matter what brand TP you use? Sent every brand known to mankind down the drain and guess what? They all flush the same and have never stopped up. You can put paper towels in there and they will flow through if you have enough water. Its just a tank. If you think some magical break down is happening in your holding tank with chemicals, you are wasting money. Ask any full timer.
Septic tank? Yeah they are all over the country and the TP companies have you believing you have to buy their approved TP. Don't waste your money. Use your favorite you use at home.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:50 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Exactly. Its comforting to know the paper you are using does dissolve well, but seriously its going to do its job just once no matter what you do.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:20 AM   #52
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
I wish I could have invented RV toilet paper. Is their anybody here that hasn't figured out that it doesn't matter what brand TP you use? Sent every brand known to mankind down the drain and guess what? They all flush the same and have never stopped up.
NOT true for those of us whose Airstreams came with macerator pumps. It very much matters what dissolves and what doesn't, because what doesn't can clog the pump if the pump can't chew it up well enough.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Good point. I have a SewerSolution system that uses a water jet to pump and macerate (sort of). It is fitted to a short clear section so I can see how well it is cleaning the tank. Pumps slow, but tank ends up very clean with the Charmin Ultra Soft TP in use.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Where do you go #2?
Campground facilities, or anywhere but the Airstream. I'm not a rustic camper by any means.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
. . .
. . .You can put paper towels in there and they will flow through if you have enough water.
. . .

Not the best advice, in my opinion, given that many readers here are new to the RV lifestyle, or naive enough to test it out.

Not to mention that your advice will stop up a macerator-based system! [or ruin the macerator motor/blades -- no fun to replace on the road.]

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #56

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
NOT true for those of us whose Airstreams came with macerator pumps. It very much matters what dissolves and what doesn't, because what doesn't can clog the pump if the pump can't chew it up well enough.
Even more concerning for those of us with macerating TOILETS... since the paper hasn't had much time to dissolve yet before running through the pump.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #57
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Campground facilities, or anywhere but the Airstream. I'm not a rustic camper by any means.
I guess....I enjoy crapping in my own toilet regardless of what is available outside the trailer door....I don't see why someone would have an aversion to using the trailers facilities as intended.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Quote:
I guess....I enjoy crapping in my own toilet regardless of what is available outside the trailer door....I don't see why someone would have an aversion to using the trailers facilities as intended.
To each his own. I don't like dealing with the black tank. And I've been in a few trailers where the entire thing smells like a bathroom. No thanks.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #59
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
You gotta dump the tank if you go #1 in it, so you still deal with it. You shouldn't have an offensive smell unless you have a bad flange seal or stand there with the flush valve open for prolonged periods of time.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Quote:
You gotta dump the tank if you go #1 in it, so you still deal with it. You shouldn't have an offensive smell unless you have a bad flange seal or stand there with the flush valve open for prolonged periods of time.
I don't have an issue using it the way I do. Works just fine. Please feel free to use your trailer as you wish.