Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Replacing tanks on 1976 Sovereign?

We finally got the shell off of the Albatross and it is now setting on blocks. My husband hoped to be able to salvage the tanks but once he took the entire subfloor off, the tanks are all concave and pretty crusty.

The question is, do we clean them up and see if they hold water or is it best to just get new tanks all around just to be on the safe side? I am most concerned about the fresh water tank being clean and all the tanks being leak free. I am thinking that the plastic tanks may be getting compromised after all these years and may shortly fall apart. About all we have been able to salvage has been part of the frame and the shell. The rest was destroyed by rust and poor/lack of care for years.

Any advice out there? Thanks.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
I had a very small leak in one of the waste tanks, discovered by the
local Airstream repair shop. Cost about $400 to repair. 90% labor. Not knowing the cost of new tanks and doing the work your self I'd probably at least opt for new on the waste tanks.
KL's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hi Sandy,

I'd just do new tanks now while it's handy.

Side question: Do you have fuses inside the cover for the 7-way plug? I see it hanging loose in your picture of the removed floor. Mine was removed when I got the trailer. I've wondered what an unmolested one lookes like.

Thanks,

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Questions? We have answers....

I did ask the man in charge and he says there are no fuses inside the box; he says it is just a junction box. He is busy trying to lower the shell down off of the blocks before the ND wind sets in again. I haven't broken the new tanks issue to him just yet. I will wait until he warms up and eats his supper before I give him heartburn
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I would vote for new tanks if the cost isn't too prohibitive. Might as well do it right from the get go. Your trailer will be much better than any thing the factory ever put out when you get done, because you have done it right.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Greenwood , South Carolina
Hey Splitrock, My interior junction cover for the 7-way plug was full of circuit breakers. I wrote down the colors before un-wiring it to remove the shell.
musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Greenwood , South Carolina
P S - I took a look and found this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-2010 669.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	114297  
musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaster View Post
Hey Splitrock, My interior junction cover for the 7-way plug was full of circuit breakers. I wrote down the colors before un-wiring it to remove the shell.
I'm happy to be able to confirm the service manual at last. I added fuses according to the book but all of my fuses were missing and the 7-way was hot wired.

Thanks for the information and thanks for the picture too.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
We finally got the shell off of the Albatross and it is now setting on blocks. My husband hoped to be able to salvage the tanks but once he took the entire subfloor off, the tanks are all concave and pretty crusty.
Sandy,

It won't be cheap to replace those tanks, all three of them, but if you are planning on keeping the trailer for a good while, this is the absolute best time to do it, while you have it all apart. It's no fun doing it by taking the belly pan off again while you crawl around underneath.

Plus, if yours is in anything similar to ours, you will find on close inspection that the rails and supports and even likely the pans holding the tanks in place could well be rotted out, rusted beyond their useful life-span. This might be why there are concave parts, due to pressure being put where it shouldn't be on account of failing support pieces.

This is a once in a long time chance to do it up right. Don't wish you had done it later, when it will be much tougher to do. You'll feel much better having new and fresh parts down there.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Better half says if he doesn't see a problem when the tanks are stacked up in the garage, there is no problem. I say replace them all now and quit worrying about a future problem from leaking tanks. Where do we get them (all of them-black, grey/gray, and fresh) 1976 Sovereign, 31' rear bath? Suggestions? Sources appreciated.
Sandy

Tags
1976 sovereign, sovereign, tanks