Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Regulator question

Anybody have an opinion?

Why do I need a regulator to take the pressure down to 40-50 psi when I am on city water? Isn't my plumbing system the exact same thing I would put into a wee little house that would then take the higher pressure? Something about the fact that the airstream can move?

Thanks,

Carlos Ferguson
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Do you know what your city water pressure is? Mine is 100-120 PSI. I use a regulator on my house. Washing machines and other devices are rated for about 75 PSI max. When you use the city water at a RV Park, it's a crap shoot. You need to protect your plumbing.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I have been in many RV parks that explicilty warn you about water pressure. I carry a pressure gauge (just for fun since I always use an external pressure regulator as well as the built in one in my rig). I've seen 170 lb pressures.

The pressure at my house is 180-200 lb. If I didn't have a regulator protecting my house plumbing, I would have plumbing leaks everywhere.

I have put pressure regulators on all my hose bibs since the pressure was blowing up nozzles and sprinklers.

I had at least one pressure regulator fail so that over time, the pressure increase over the setting. I adjusted it and a month later it was too high again. I replace the cheap (Home depot $25) unit with a better (Local Hardware store $45) and haven't had any more problems.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Water Pressure

Just want to say.......Ditto

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Double Ditto .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Ok, will do. Should I install permanently inside the trailer or outside or both? Inside seems easy so I don't forget/lose the regulator, but maybe my hose will balloon if it isn't protected too?

C
Old 04-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Both. I advocate safe water supply congress.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
My Airstream has a built-in pressure regulator. During the refurb, it was removed & tested to make sure it was regulating at about 45 psig. Although this would infer that my Overlander's plumbing is protected, I have noticed that the water heater, when heating, raises the pressure of the line enough to crack the over-pressure relief valve. That valve, as I recall, is set at 65 psig.

An external regulator where the hose ties into the campground water supply will protect your hose.

But a new, reasonable quality hose can take the pressure.

While a regulator where the hose ties to the campground's spigot is a good idea, it is equally important to keep a fairly new supply hose in your American Classic.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
My Airstream has a built-in pressure regulator. During the refurb, it was removed & tested to make sure it was regulating at about 45 psig. Although this would infer that my Overlander's plumbing is protected, I have noticed that the water heater, when heating, raises the pressure of the line enough to crack the over-pressure relief valve. That valve, as I recall, is set at 65 psig.

An external regulator where the hose ties into the campground water supply will protect your hose.

But a new, reasonable quality hose can take the pressure.

While a regulator where the hose ties to the campground's spigot is a good idea, it is equally important to keep a fairly new supply hose in your American Classic.

Tom
Does the water heater have this valve built in or do I need to add an pressure relief valve to my plumbing system too?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello ,

Go outside to where you water meter or main shutoff is and you wil find the regulator for your house .max pressure usually there is 60psi. The airstream should have about 45 psi.The po of my 60 trdwnd built a little wooden mount for the regulator and pressure gauge to sit on the ground by the water supply connection ,which I stiil use with a new brass regulator .I hook up the water supply ,turn it on and immediately I can see the exact pressure on the gauge.
works very well.

scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
Ok, will do. Should I install permanently inside the trailer or outside or both? Inside seems easy so I don't forget/lose the regulator, but maybe my hose will balloon if it isn't protected too?

C
If you use a hose attached model and attach it to the faucet end (not the trailer end) the hose will not balloon. Only people like this would forget to remove it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dummy.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	20533  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:31 AM   #12
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--Attach an $8 Marshall Brass water pressure regulator pre set to about 45psi to your city water outlet, connect one end of your water hose to it and the other end to your A/S, and you have eliminated potential problems of hose burst, water heater drip, pressure relief valve drip, faucet drips, and other misc. drips.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote