Old 06-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Reduce water hammer

Removed original 3 stage SHURflo water pump . Installed Seaflow 4 stage bypass pump in effort to remove water hammer. No luck. Ordered 4 stage sureflo 4008 by pass pump. Now change in the water hammer issues. Installed braded flex pipe to eliminate water hammer. No reduction in noise. Anyone found the solution?
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Copper, pex or ? piping? Loose runs slamming whatever they are near?
More info please

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
David. Don't know what your trailer is but on my 20 I had the same problem as you and went through all the same steps.
Solution on mine was to release a bit of water from the drains below the trailer when I first turn the water on.
On my 25ft we have now, the first time it happened I tried the same trick and it worked again. So that is now my go to solution.
Works for me.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
David. Don't know what your trailer is but on my 20 I had the same problem as you and went through all the same steps.
Solution on mine was to release a bit of water from the drains below the trailer when I first turn the water on.
On my 25ft we have now, the first time it happened I tried the same trick and it worked again. So that is now my go to solution.
Works for me.

George
This sounds like there is likely some air trapped in the pipes still, so I assume you are letting some water out from the low-point drains to clear the air that may be trapped in their vicinity.

The other thing might be if there is air in the hot water tank (if you have a tank). The compression/decompression of the air can exaggerate the effects.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I have a tankless water heater, and had to add an accumulator tank to the system to reduce pump hammering and noise (no possible air bubble in heater any more).

Sometimes water hammer is caused by a lack of an air bubble in a conventional hot water tank.

To restore the 'bubble':

Turn off the water heater, disconnect shore water and/or turn off water pump, drain water out water heater using the drain plug. Reinstall the drain plug. Turn water back on, and allow water to run out of a hot water faucet until you do not get air bubbles. DO NOT use the pressure relief valve on the water heater to make it fill quicker--that defeats the purpose of restoring the air bubble.

If this does not make it quieter, consider installing a small surge tank near the pump. It has a permanent air bubble in it... Flex hoses on input and output of pump may also reduce noise.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:54 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
2000 30’ Excella. Has pex water piping . Perhaps I didn’t describe the noise issue correctly. The pump noise is the issue not traditional water hammer that occurs when the water is turned off.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Adding foam pipe insulation near the pump where pipes rest on hard surfaces (like wood) helped a little in my case.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good advice so far. Add an accumulator?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...or-100341.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...ks-157920.html

Restore water heater air “head” per rmkrum, and run all lines to purge air pockets, including outdoor shower and hose bibs if any. Ditto for all low point drains.

The new search function in blue box above works great FYI. Enter “noisy pump” for good weekend reading!

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
The accumulator tank will not have any affect on the hammer noise, it will only allow a minor break from it.
The best way to minimize the noise is to isolate the pump from the system. Purchase two 30"braided flex hoses, like washing machine hoses, HD/Lowes/Amazon about $7.99 each, and install as a buffer, then find a soft - inch pad and install it under the pump.
The whole point is to not have it connected to any hard/fixed anything, as it will pass it's work through to it.
Along with bleeding the system, unless a lite sleeper, you should be able to sleep thru it running.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote