Old 05-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #1

1996 28' Excella
West Chester , OH
Redoing plumbing

Hi guys, I知 currently having my 1996 Excella renovated and I知 converting the bathroom to one side. In doing so, I知 moving the toilet a couple feet. They guy who is renovating it is thinking of just switching the plumbing of toilet to the grey water tank, and switching the shower to the black water tank. Can this be done? I知 not sure if the original black water tank has bigger drainage valves for waste (gross visual). Will I need to switch all grey water plumbing to the 渡ew grey water tank because I知 sure I could smell sewage coming from pipes if I don稚. Help I知 clueless here!

natehuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
he needs to do it right and git new tanks with proper fitings, his way won't work.

Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Isn't there a sizable difference in capacity between the black and gray tanks? Usually black tanks are smaller, so just switching tanks would mess up capacity, wouldn't it? One usually needs more gray capacity than black: think showers, dishes, cooking, washing hands, vs. peeing and pooping (pardon the expressions).

Vivian
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It would be a whole lot better to just leave it like it is.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Welcome to the forum Nate!

An expensive ($1K) marine type macerator toilet might solve your problem.

The macerating porcelain toilet in my '2012 Airstream Avenue Suite works well (although I must premise by stating I have no experience with any other kind). It is listed on the Dometic (Sea Land) site under their Marine toilets.

The only reason AS didn't install a foot-flush gravity toilet in my unit; like other Avenues; is because they adopted a different floor plan for my Suite model. It required them to relocate the toilet and I guess they found it easier to pump the waste over to the black tank rather than relocate the tank under the new toilet location.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I guess my answer was a little terse. The macerating toilet might be just the solution. My daughter installed one in her house and it worked fine. Probably has some advantages for black tank use anyway. My initial response was based on the fact that changing the tanks seems like a lot of work and expense. You could pretty much put the macerator where you want it. To do it the way you want with the original tanks one would have to cut into the tank and mount a flange for the toilet. That might be doable. I would want to end up with the grey and black water systems seperated. One still needs to build up a quantity in the black tank and then dump.

Good luck with your vision.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote