Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Palm Harbor , Florida
Re-Plumbing '76 24' Argosy

Im considering replacing my copper piping with CPVC. I plan to remove all the copper and route and install tne new piping. I considered PEX but it apprears to be a quick fix type application, when simply replacing a section of copper. CPVC is the standard in house contruction these days. its flexible and glues together using angles, tees, etc.

has anybody used or have an oppinion on using CPVC?
jimthesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Here's recent thread on the subject.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...highlight=cpvc

As for pex... I'm a fan. We like it and would not go back to copper/pvc/cpvc for water supply in dwellings or our trailers.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I prefer pex for my trailers,the cpvc has to be strapped so often to keep it from rattling,also you will need an expansion tank.1 other thing about pex if you need to use bug spray make sure it is not oil based,any oil get on pex and it gets so brittle it falls apart. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Doesn't Pex also have a higher threshold for freezing without blowing out?

Around here, pex is the standard in new construction and has been for some time. We have it in our home and have had zero problems.

Still have the original polybutelene in the Airstream and its replacement is on the to do list--but it is not something I am looking forward to. No trouble with the poly yet but as they say, it is only a matter of time. We will go with Pex when the time comes. I like the flexibility of it (flexibility = less joints) and it is easy to work with. Airstream has been using at the factory for a while, for what that is worth.

I also wonder how well the CPVC would hold up long term being a more rigid product being vibrated down the road?

Just my observations. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthesailor View Post
Im considering replacing my copper piping with CPVC. I considered PEX but it apprears to be a quick fix type application, when simply replacing a section of copper. CPVC is the standard in house contruction these days.
I don't know where you heard that PEX was a "quick fix". CPVC may be the standard in house construction, but PEX is used extensively in RV's. It is easy to work with, more tolerable in low freezing conditions and works well in a mobile vehicles such as a trailer. I would reconsider Pex. I replaced all of the old copper in my 1976 31' sovereign in 2000, it is still working great no leaks.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Palm Harbor , Florida
where is the PEX sold? I did see the Sharkbite at Home Depot. its advertized to be compatible/interchangable with CPVC, PEX and copper. Have any of you put in any shutoffs prior to any fixtures like in residentual?
jimthesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Pex Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthesailor View Post
where is the PEX sold? I did see the Sharkbite at Home Depot. its advertized to be compatible/interchangable with CPVC, PEX and copper. Have any of you put in any shutoffs prior to any fixtures like in residentual?
On my 73 I made a manifold in the trunk,used 1/2 for manifold,with tees and straight stops,which reduced me down to 1/4 ,ran the 1/4 lines to bathroom sink ,k-sink and cold to the toilet.at the end of the manifold I installed 1/2 ball valves and ran pex to the shower valve. To change over on the moen faucets I just used 3/8 compression unions.
HD does have pex down here,you shoud be able to get it up there,if not call a plumbing supply house,sometimes they will sell to the public. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Pex for full system replacement

We replaced all the copper lines that carry pressure in our 22' Safari with Pex. Easy install, flexible, color coded for hot and cold. Available at our neighborhood Lowe's.

We used the crimp rings to secure the Pex to the fittings. Tool is kinda pricey, but it will be good for any future projects and is adaptable to fit several sizes of Pex tubing. We were afraid that the Sharkbite fittings would leak if subjected to vibration.

You do have to plan well to make the last connections in an area where the crimping tool has room to operate. We were able to pre-assemble a lot of areas and then make a last connection in an accessible area.

Make lots of drawings of the original system before you cut out the copper. Some areas will need a little re-design because the Pex fittings aren't exactly like the copper ones, but it was all just a matter of thinking it through.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote