Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Question About Plumbing Gone Bad

I just found out my Argosy trailer is going to have to have all new plumbing because at some point the pipes have froze. Won it on ebay and was told it never needed winterized because it was in a warm climate It has the original copper pipes right now. It will be replaced with all new plex is what the dealer told me. Is this better than the copper? Also is there any reason to keep the old copper that is being taken out?
Denise M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise M.
I just found out my Argosy trailer is going to have to have all new plumbing because at some point the pipes have froze. Won it on ebay and was told it never needed winterized because it was in a warm climate It has the original copper pipes right now. It will be replaced with all new plex is what the dealer told me. Is this better than the copper? Also is there any reason to keep the old copper that is being taken out?
The plastic is easier to work with.

Keep the copper?????

You bet. You will be amazed at the amount of money scrap copper brings.

In California, they steal copper wire that is buried underground, for the money. Construction sites have guards, to guard of all things, the copper wiring.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you can locate the leaks in accessable areas consider repairing with Sea Tech fittings they fit directly to copper and plastic and require No Tools other than a tubing cutter. Far less expensive than a full replacement job.

With Sea Tech fitting you just measure and snap into place. The fitting has an O ring inside and metal fingures that grab the pipe. The fittings can be released without tools if you want to change something.

Look for the leaks at Elbows because copper will often push the elbow off at the end of a run.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
I did ask the people working on the plumbing if the copper they were removing was worth keeping and they told me there was not enough to worry about it. What if any is this copper worth?
Denise M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Denise,

Great advice from HowieE. You should have the plumbing system pressure tested (or you can do it yourself) and follow around every joint and elbow that you can find with soapy water solution to find the leaks. A simple way is to attach a small air compressor set at 60PSI to your piping. This will give you a constant pressure to find the leaking sections.

The cut out the offending spot and 'Sea-Tech and pex' a new piece or joint. If most of your copper is in tact, it will last a long time by doing this and save you big $$$$.

Of course, if there are 'more than few' spots leaking, then replacement might be the option of choice.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Good idea!

Some thoughts.... the Argosy's are prone to rear pipe leaks. There's a space where the wood is cut away for the black tank that subjects the pipes to freezing. The hot water tank is also subject to freeze damage.

However, I will tell you that I had leaks from behind the shower, under the rear sink, under the rear pullout bed, and by the freezer. It was easier to pull it all out and start over for me.

Any chance you might want to do it yourself? Plastic pipe is not hard to work with (Pex). See http://thevap.com for some ideas about easy, no tool fittings that push together.

I'd also save the copper. We've had stories of lamp posts being stripped of their wiring here in the NW for scrap.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
A bucket of copper scraps will only appreciate in value... a little hammer and fold action and it should be good for another 30 years to see if you can earn back the whole purchase price