Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
PVC or PEX or copper

So I am getting ready to design the plumbing part of a restoration. What are the benefits of using PEX over PVC. Are they only that PEX can bend around corners and that they are simply popular right now. I have been told by someone recently to use PVC because he was having to deal with a PEX joint that popped loose and spewed water all over his trailer. While it should be noted that water always has the ability to leak, is it more or less likely with PEX or PVC? I guess it will always depend on the situation, but I really jusy wanted some opinions for and against both. Anyone? Or should I use copper in some areas and not others. Does anyone have a design that they feel is the best in terms of where to use what type of material? please advise, Andrew
64TrotterAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I believe this answer will come down to what you feel most comfortable working with. Copper for me is no issue - I have worked with it in home restorations for years. I like it personally. PEX is all new to me and the self locking connectors are a mystery to me - I have only played with them in the store but they come highly recommended and in tight partial resotations where getting into a tight spot is an issue they may be a life saver. PVC is brittle and really does not like movement after installation. PVC is simple to work with and very cheap.

There you go - no real answer - my choice would be copper and terminate short of all fittings and go with bradded SS flex lines to fixtures to speed up the process.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
For what its worth, I like pex fine. My home was built in the 80s and plumbed with the poly-bute pipe that finally failed. I have re-plumed the entire home in pex and found it easy to work with.

One must use the correct crimping tools, but there is a wide array of fittings available, and if you use the rolled versus the stick varity, it is flexible and very forgiving.
I would use it in a trailer before the other two, any time.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would go PEX. Easy to work with and holds up better in freeze conditions. My trailer has it from the PO and it is working fine.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
PEX Rocks

PEX Rocks
trevisgardne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
While my trailer plumbing remains copper, I have to recommend Pex, and will use it when the old plumbing eventually needs to be replaced.

A couple of years ago we converted a barn into a house, the Pex was wonderful to use. It's ability to recover from accidental freeze is a huge selling point as well given that our house is located deep in the Cascade mountains.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
pex, if installed correctly should not leak. go PEX.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I put pex in my trailer.
I tried the Seaquest fittings found at Lowes. 80% of the joints leaked. I took back the fittings. Purchased a crimping tool from ebay and went with the brass fittings. No leaks - very simple. I like copper but the crimping tool sure beats trying to sweat a solder fitting in a tight corner.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
pex it is

Just got back from a 3000 mile trip with Costalotta.... first trip out and NO LEAKS.... Hubby used pex with sea teck (sp) ....
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
For my Airstream? Pex with the crimped fittings. For my house? Copper. My AS has copper, but it is 33 year old copper, and is going to be replaced shortly.

FWIW my parents house still has some of the original copper piping still in place and it is over 70 years old IMHO copper is great stuff for a fixed installation, but where it is going to be subject to vibration, temperature extremes, and being wet or dry the PEX is a better choice.

PVC is my choice for drain lines only. I have had PVC water lines crack when under pressure. Not sure if was poor quality or damaged prior to installation.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:58 AM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think opinions were requested and this is mine.....

I used pex with mixed feelings. The pipe is great, but those SeaTech fitting suck. The pipe must be cut perfectly straight, it must be under zero tension and it must be seated all the way into the fitting. I would not use the SeaTech fittings again. The Shark bite fitting work much better, but also must have a straight cut and not be under tension. The crimp type are better yet and are bullet proof. If I knew then what I know now, I would however, have gone with copper. The cost is about a quarter of what pex cost. If you can sweat pipe, it is very easy. Anna Lumanum: I am crushed.... beat down... wiped out. here you can see the manifold and all the home runs... I will not do that again either. I see no advantage to this.

And as many know the hard way, it does not matter what pipe you use if you do not winterize properly. Most of us are lazy and do not do it on time or properly. This is the major reason (in my not even remotely humble opinion) why the copper fails and is replaced by pex.

Good luck with your plumbing. I think you will find many camps as to what is right. After you are done, you will have formed your opinion too.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Thanks!!!

I am undecided, but much more educated by your opinions. Thanks to all of you very much. My decision will of course be posted on the blog on the main page. 64 Globetrotter Restoration. THANKS!!
64TrotterAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64TrotterAtl View Post
I am undecided, but much more educated by your opinions. Thanks to all of you very much. My decision will of course be posted on the blog on the main page. 64 Globetrotter Restoration. THANKS!!
Hi 64TrotterAtl; This needs to be added to all comments; Pex is a nice stuff however, I think that "shark bite" connectors are not always dependable especially when there is a linear discrepancy. This is especially true when using coiled Pex tubing. The coiled Pex has a memory thus placing a force on the connection which eventually may leak. I found out that coiled type does not take kindly to straight runs either. Use the straight Pex tubing. Use 90 degree fittings to make a corner. Do not try to bend it going around any corners. Definitely use crimp on connectors not Shark Bite. This message is from a guy with flooded Argosy. Same guy is now very happy with crimped on Pex system.
Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #14
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
When I redid ALL the plumbing in the Tradewind all copper came out and PEX went in. Very easy to work with and as you mentioned it will curve to the AS shape when needed. I crimped all connections and this has worked out really well except in tight spots. You do have to plan ahead and put some thought into your piping layout. You will find yourself in spots where there just insn't enough room for the crimping tool. I have not used the quick connects so I can't say good or bad. Good planning is the best advise I can offer.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Good advice. I also redid everything with Pex. I used 90% crimp fittings, and only used the quick connects where the crimping tool would not fit.

I used coiled tubing and didn't have a problem. If needed you can straighten the tubing with a heat gun. Use the gray snap-in plastic clips about every two feet to hold the tubing in place.

Plan your runs with low point drains. You might come north some day and need to winterize.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:44 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
62Overlander...copper is about 1/4 the cost of PEX? Not in my neighborhood. Going back with copper would cost me almost 1/3 to double what PEX will.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 09-11-2008, 05:45 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
We replace all our 39 year old copper with red, white & blue pex. We have a big pile of copper we are going to cash in and go to Red Lobster to eat. I know with the copper out the weight is probably less. I guess we will have to wait and see if the Pex will last 39 years.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I think the biggest benefit to Pex is it's freeze resistance.. I thought about replacing my copper lines, but as there is nothing wrong with them an keeping them... I just won't let them freeze....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Andrew,

You can see PEX used in my complete renewal of a 1976 Argosy here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...e-18448-8.html

So far, no leaks. Which is not to say it will never leak - but I hope it won’t.

PEX is very easy to work with. I was able to do it myself which wouldn’t have been the case with copper.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I think the biggest benefit to Pex is it's freeze resistance.. I thought about replacing my copper lines, but as there is nothing wrong with them an keeping them... I just won't let them freeze....
Depends on the overall condition and if you are doing a full interior rework or not. I am and 30+ year old copper can pinhole and leak with little warning. Most of my fittings are showing signs of corrosion, so it it easier to do it now rather than later...after the interior has been reinstalled!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495