Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Gainesville , Florida
Problems finding p trap fittings

Hi everyone,
I am living full-time in my 1975 Sovereign and the first day I went to do dishes in the kitchen I found a massive leak in the continuous waste system and p trap combo under the kitchen sink. The leak is at the sink on the left (red arrow), but I can't find a fitting for the p trap connection (blue circle). The pipe says 1.5" abs, but I've tried 1.5" pvc, 1.5" abs, 2" pvc...I'm going crazy! When I go to screw on the 1.5" abs the nut is slightly too big. I'm tempted to try a 1.25" abs but I don't understand when it says it's 1.5"!! I've tried Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Ferguson plumbing, Camping world, ordered the abs online...I'm running out of options. Anyone run into this issue? Any plumbers have advice on how to proceed? Thanks in advance! -Katie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1628.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	302186  
slvr_pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Go to the Big Box Store and get a Fernco Fitting. They are rubber couples with band straps and come as size to size and size to reduction size. Commonly used when connecting dissimilar pipe types or sizes.

https://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings

Taking a second look you may want to just cut the horizontal ABS pipe and make your Fernco connection there with standard plastic fitting to that point

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Go to the Big Box Store and get a Fernco Fitting. They are rubber couples with band straps and come as size to size and size to reduction size. Commonly used when connecting dissimilar pipe types or sizes.

You may have to cut the stand pipe coming up through the floor to make up for the fitting height but once in place standard plastic will work.
Awesome thanks for the quick reply!
slvr_pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
+1
I did that with a shower fitting that kept cracking. I guess the movement put too much flex on the ABS fitting.
The rubber coupling ended the cracking forever, and solved the problem. I just went from the threaded drain fitting to the next section of ABS pipe.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:

Taking a second look you may want to just cut the horizontal ABS pipe and make your Fernco connection there with standard plastic fitting to that point
Also called mission band, they are great, i have some over 40 yrs. old, no signs of deteriation, with some used in ground, and some used in water softener salt water sump hook ups.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Hertford , NC
I also had a problem with my kitchen sick trap last year after not winterizing the drain. I was able to go to Lowe's and buy a complete new 1 1/2" ABS trap, with great results.
rdb504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We installed Hepvo 1 1/2” traps on everything. They work well and have had no issues. They are easy to install and remove if there’s ever an issue with the rubber duck bill insides. Some have installed them vertically down below the sink. Good luck. Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr_pickled View Post
Hi everyone,
I am living full-time in my 1975 Sovereign and the first day I went to do dishes in the kitchen I found a massive leak in the continuous waste system and p trap combo under the kitchen sink. The leak is at the sink on the left (red arrow), but I can't find a fitting for the p trap connection (blue circle). The pipe says 1.5" abs, but I've tried 1.5" pvc, 1.5" abs, 2" pvc...I'm going crazy! When I go to screw on the 1.5" abs the nut is slightly too big. I'm tempted to try a 1.25" abs but I don't understand when it says it's 1.5"!! I've tried Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Ferguson plumbing, Camping world, ordered the abs online...I'm running out of options. Anyone run into this issue? Any plumbers have advice on how to proceed? Thanks in advance! -Katie
RED CIRCLE:
The threaded part that is glued onto the end of the pipe is part of the p trap. That is not a standard thread, so you will have to find an exact replacement if you want to continue to use it. Or replace it with something else.
My suggestion is to saw off that fitting. Then install a 1 1/2" male adapter. Get the black ABS fitting, not the white PVC.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/NIBCO-1-1-2...itting/3434738
This will work with those white nuts that come with white pipe shown in the photo. You most likely will have to purchase a tail piece extension and a new trap. You will need ABS glue or multi-purpose glue that will work with ABS and PVC.

BLUE ARROW:
The sink drain strainers you have originally came with a metal nut and a plastic pipe adapter/reducer that fit those white pipes. If you don't have both of those for each strainer, I doubt you will find replacement parts, or be able to stop the leak otherwise. You might find an extension with that nut if you are lucky. A Fernco coupling that would fit over the threads will be to large to fit the smaller diameter pipe. My suggestion is to replace the strainers. I used these in my Safari:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-4-5-...rainer/1056823
You will need plumbers putty. Google search should show you a video of how to install properly.

add edit:
I think Lowes has stopped carrying ABS pipe fittings. You might have to go to another hardware store, or maybe a RV or mobile home supply house to find that ABS adapter (red circle)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Lowes sell abs in states that allow abs drain lines, just cut the old trap fitting off,
And start fresh, With what ever is available.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I needed some ABS fittings when I did my 68 Trade Wind. No luck at any local stores. Went to a local mobile home dealer (house trailer) and back in the work shop they had everything I needed. Many older house trailers had ABS plumbing.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
The easiest and fastest way (and not wrong) would be to use a rubber coupling. But I'm in the camp suggesting to rework the ABS pipe. I'm also seeing in your photo that the sink baskets drain from right to left, then through a P-trap, then out the black drain pipe at the back of the cabinet left to right. Basically making a u-turn under your sink.

If you're going to cut that ABS fitting of, you might be able to cut it back closer to the cabinet wall on the right near that bundle of red wire, then replumb the P-trap back in toward that right side after reversing the drain basket connection left to right (they're reversible). You'd gain some space under the sink by removing the excess black pipe from the back of the cabinet. Not a lot, but every bit counts. As someone else said, you can then make sure you have all of the right fittings and connections at the store to make a complete repair. Lots of opinions/options on stuff like this.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote