Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
Traverse City , Michigan
Pressure sensor?

In redoing the water lines, I see a device inline which appears to read water pressure. It has electrical connections to the control panel. I assume this is reading the availability of city water connection? Can someone enlighten me please
Davidhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Post a picture. Normally the city pressure is higher than the water pump so the pump would not start when city water pressure is present.

Do you have the water pump? Sometime folks bypass the water pump pressure switch and add an external one that they can adjust the water pressure. Most common pressure switch is a Square D Pumptrol brand.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Pflugerville , Texas
It may be a "Auto fill valve". Any time you a hooked up to city water you can fill your fresh water tank by turning a switch to ON located on the monitor panel.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:20 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
Traverse City , Michigan
Thank you folks. I will grab a picture tonight. It is clearly "inline" and has two wires which run to the control center. There is a brass part with a male "pin" on which a black plastic "cube" slides over the pin
Old 05-03-2018, 05:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
Traverse City , Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water line.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	310047Here is the part I am asking about.
This will be my first attempt to upload a photo to this site so please be patient if I don't get it first time
Old 05-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
That's a solenoid valve. There should be a switch somewhere that energizes it to open the valve (or close it, depending on how it's constructed). That would fit with shelocta's auto fill valve suggestion. If you find its switch, you should hear it click when it energizes.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The black plastic cube is the coil of the electromagnet part of the valve. Inside the 'male part' is a spring and a sliding metal 'slug' that the coil moves when you supply voltage to the coil. When you energize the coil, the metal 'slug' opens a valve in the brass part of the valve and lets water flow.

I agree that it's probably an 'auto-fill' for the fresh water tank. Only thing you need to be aware of is that it is capable of overfilling the fresh water tank if you do not pay attention and leave it on too long.

See if you can trace the wires back to a switch on the control panel. That may clear up more of the mystery...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
Traverse City , Michigan
All my interior wall panels are out right now, so I can. Pretty sure I saw the wires going into the control panel/ Range hood. But I will double check tonight. I have not energized the system yet so I can't test for a click noise just yet. Thanks for your comments and education.