Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
northfield , Massachusetts
pressure relief valve

replumbing 73 safari rearbath combo i thinks it's a pressure relief valve. valve goes to a dump though the floor also ties to drains for hot and cold lines. do i need to have relief valve. thanks Don
twiggy137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Twiggy,
When water is heated it expands. If the high limit gas burner burner cut off malfunctions and the water heats to temperature boiling water and even steam, the pressure in your hot water lines to bathroom and kitchen sink and even the cold water lines feeding the hot water heater could rupter at the weakest point and spray hot water or steam and scald anyone near the rupture. Pressure valves are required by code. Don't remove it or your safety could be in peril.
Charlie E
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Twiggy, Forgot. The releif valve is mounted on your hot water heater. If you see a valve in your plumbing on the copper tubing behind the toilet soldered into the copper pipe you're probably looking at the pressure regulator valve that doesn't allow incoming street water pressure to exceed what your plumbing system can stand. Also in series with the pressure regulator I believe you'll see another brass gadget on the pipe that is a check valve that prevents your pump from sending your trailer water back out on your hook-up hose into nearby trailers or the campground water or city water source. Charlie E.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Twiggy,
Northfirld, Mass. Mt. Herman and Northfield Academy. Is the Connecticut River still in Flood Stage? Charlie E.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
thanks charlieE yes the relief valve is under the sink in the rear bath. local RV dealer said i didn't need it,but i will install new pressure relief in same place.thanks again.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
charlieE yes the river still up.I live up behind the northfield campus, rustic ridge
Old 05-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy137
replumbing 73 safari rearbath combo i thinks it's a pressure relief valve. valve goes to a dump though the floor also ties to drains for hot and cold lines. do i need to have relief valve. thanks Don
You described a "high pressure pop off valve."

Should you hook up to a water supply system, like you have today in many trailer parks, and don't have that valve, you will take the chance of blowing a water line.

Please try to remember, Airstream didn't use that valve just to be nice.

That valve has a definite and very useful purpose.

Some people may argue that if you use a water pressure regulator at the hookup faucet, then you don't need the pop off valve.

That is true, but don't ever forget to use the regulator.

Pop off valves are cheap.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #8

2003 30' Classic S/O
Woodstock , Ontario
Send a message via Yahoo to ddivell
Hi all I have a 2001 Safari and I just tried to test for water line presure by hooking up to city line I can't get full presure on the kitchen sink and low presure in the washroom, I looked at the manuel I cant see any other valve to turn on or off has anyone had this problem
ddivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
The first thing I would do is remove the screens at the faucet outlets and re-try. Your screens may be plugged.
Does the toilet flush adequately?
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #10

2003 30' Classic S/O
Woodstock , Ontario
Send a message via Yahoo to ddivell
Update 635 am The toilet flushes fine plenty of presure, I will try the cleaning of the screens, the hand held rinse spray is only useing a few of the holes same in the shower, I noticed when I open and closed the bypass valve to the heater the hot line had a gush sound but the cold line did not make the same gush, is it possible the cold water valve is stuck? when I open the main drian valve , plenty of water thier, so that is past the city water check valve
ddivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
You described a "high pressure pop off valve."

Should you hook up to a water supply system, like you have today in many trailer parks, and don't have that valve, you will take the chance of blowing a water line.

Please try to remember, Airstream didn't use that valve just to be nice.

That valve has a definite and very useful purpose.

Some people may argue that if you use a water pressure regulator at the hookup faucet, then you don't need the pop off valve.

That is true, but don't ever forget to use the regulator.

Pop off valves are cheap.

Andy
I've wondered about this, and it has been brought up a few times. The pop-off is "upstream" of the pressure regulator that Airstream installed; so...is it a "belt and suspenders" kind of thing? or was it possible for the onboard pumps of the day to over-pressure, from inside? the water heaters should have had their own...and thats what some people say: "there's one on the water heater, so you don't need one back there". Seems to me that it is an inexpensive backup for all 3 sources of over-pressure. (water heater, pump, city pressure regulator).
Is that correct?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote