Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Plumbing Size

Because the plastic pipe used in my 97 Excella says "1/2" on the pipe I bought some 1/2" PVC pipe and fittings today in order to plumb my new toilet. Good thing I didn't cut anything because the 1/2" PVC I bought is obviously larger than the "1/2" used in my trailer.

So my question is: Does anyone know what they used in my trailer and where do I get it?

Thanks,
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Pex

Hi Steve,

You probably have 1/2" Pex (or similar) polyethelnene or polybutylene tubing. It is much easier to use than PVC and is flexible too, so it won't break in your trailer. You can get it at Lowes with all of the fittings you might need. Some larger RV stores might carry it also.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Most faucets and things have half inch IPT (iron pipe thread) fittings on them.

Pex plastic pipe is measured by ID like copper. it is easiest to make repairs using 3/8 pex because the Quest or similar fittings for this size are half inch IPT.

I think you might be able to find some half inch tubing size to half inch IPT fittings but they are a bit harder to find. Otherwise you end up with 3/4 IPT and have to use a reducer coupling.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Fittings

Brian,

I stock a lot of fittings. They make a lot of thread sizes that fit the 1/2" tubing so you don't need to use reducers. There are a lot of other manufacturers besides Qest making fittings now like SeaTech snap-in fittings, Flair-it and others. The Flair-it as a very easy type to use, as is the SeaTech if you can find them.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Hi Steve,

You probably have 1/2" Pex (or similar) polyethelnene or polybutylene tubing. It is much easier to use than PVC and is flexible too, so it won't break in your trailer. You can get it at Lowes with all of the fittings you might need. Some larger RV stores might carry it also.
I finially made it to Lowe's today. They carried a good assortment of "CPVC" pipe and fittings in several sizes. The 1/2" was EXACTLY what is in my trailer so I bought 5' of pipe, an assortment of fittings, and some glue. The CPVC was clearly marked for "hot & cold". Bought way more than I need (at present) and spent less than $14.00.

Now I can correctly plumb my new toilet and replumb my waterpump (which I replaced a year ago).
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote