Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
PEX union to Polybutylene Gray Tubing?

Installed a new toilet in my 1989 Excella and it went fairly smooth until I went to hook up to the water supply line. The outlet of the new toilet is in the 3 o'clock position and the water supply line fitting is pointing at 12 o'clock and needs to have a 90 degree elbow to connect correctly. Can you use a brass PEX fitting/clamp to transition from the Gray Poly to the PEX? Have read in other threads that there is some type of transition union but I'm not sure what to ask for at the Hardware/RV store. The rest of the water system is in decent shape and while I plan to convert to total PEX in the future, just trying to get it back together for now. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
James
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJORJDB View Post
Installed a new toilet in my 1989 Excella and it went fairly smooth until I went to hook up to the water supply line. The outlet of the new toilet is in the 3 o'clock position and the water supply line fitting is pointing at 12 o'clock and needs to have a 90 degree elbow to connect correctly. Can you use a brass PEX fitting/clamp to transition from the Gray Poly to the PEX? Have read in other threads that there is some type of transition union but I'm not sure what to ask for at the Hardware/RV store. The rest of the water system is in decent shape and while I plan to convert to total PEX in the future, just trying to get it back together for now. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
James
I used "flair-it" fittings. A good Ace or True Value and many big box's carry them. Google it to see the available catalog. Lot's of fittings. I actually used one of their elbows with a valve and a short piece of stainless flex to ease hook-up right to the toilet.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Shark Bite makes a specific fitting for conversion from poly to PEX. You can tell it's correct one as side has a grey insert and the other side is white.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Smile

Thanks for the info, do you need special tools for the "flare-it" system? I do have a copper tubing flaring tool. With the snake-bite PEX x Poly union, is the Poly side glued, crimped like PEX fittings or pressed together like snake-bite fittings? I'll most likely convert to all/mostly PEX at the end of this season. I used PEX in the house to replace older copper lines and it is a GOD-Send for sure. The only part of the TT I'm a bit concerned with is the crossover from the sink on the curb-side to the plumbing on the street-side, it appears as though I'll have to drop the belly-pan, etc. Not too difficult I'm sure but want to use the unit as I've been staring at her all Winter as she sat under the carport. Just have to finish the toilet, converter, floor and A/C installs first, LOL!!!
Regards,
James
Old 03-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Thanks for the info, do you need special tools for the "flare-it" system? I do have a copper tubing flaring tool. With the snake-bite PEX x Poly union, is the Poly side glued, crimped like PEX fittings or pressed together like snake-bite fittings? I'll most likely convert to all/mostly PEX at the end of this season. I used PEX in the house to replace older copper lines and it is a GOD-Send for sure. The only part of the TT I'm a bit concerned with is the crossover from the sink on the curb-side to the plumbing on the street-side, it appears as though I'll have to drop the belly-pan, etc. Not too difficult I'm sure but want to use the unit as I've been staring at her all Winter as she sat under the carport. Just have to finish the toilet, converter, floor and A/C installs first, LOL!!!
Regards,
James
Shark bites need no tools. You should get their depth gauge to be certain that the tubing is inserted to the proper depth.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Regards,
James
No tools for either. Just cut the end of the tubing square. If you have a stub of poly that supplies your toilet, as I noted earlier, there is no need to add pex to get to the toilet. A stainless flex line is available practically everywhere with a fitting that will screw right onto your toilet inlet. Mine is not even visible behind the toilet.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Shark Bite makes a specific fitting for conversion from poly to PEX. You can tell it's correct one as side has a grey insert and the other side is white.
x2 My local Home Dept and Ace both carry them. No tools needed except for maybe the $2 depth gauge. http://www.sharkbite.com/product/pol...ion-couplings/
Old 03-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
There is a PB to Pex transition fitting. You can get them at any Lowes or HD. You will need a crimping tool to attach them.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Thanks to all of you for your assistance, just when you think you know what you are doing, along comes an Excella!!! LOL.
Regards,
James