Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Pex and fitting, could crimp fittings be used?

Hello all,
Totally didn't expect that I would need to do plumbing work in my trailer but here I am - I need to move the water pump by a few inches to make room for a couple of lithium batteries. In order to do that I will have to redo a few very short PEX sections next to the pump. I have done my fair share of PEX plumbing on my house and I have 1/2" PEX crimp tools and fittings as well.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could confirm a couple of things -
1) Are these in photo actually PEX tubing and fittings? most PEX I have seen so far are either those red/blue ones used with crimp rings, or white ones using more expansion tools. I have never seen white one with clamping tools.
2) I won't be able to replace the fitting connect directly to the water tank, are these white fitting safe for crimping? I am worried that the crimping tool might crush it. I have seen plastic PEX fittings in my local area, they usually used to cheaper houses and they are black.
3) anything else makes airstream plumbing different from residential houses that I should pay attention to?

Thanks in advance!

-Hovr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50472744463_de7564eab4_k.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	380784  
hovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Yes they are pex style tubing and fittings and I have used the coper band stye crimps with them for some of my modifications-- Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I prefer the copper bands as well.

Admittedly I’ve also used the stainless steel crimp clamps in tough places. They are easier to install and remove later if necessary. I just use a big pair of diagonal cutters to break off the crimp part that sticks out.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I don’t have the tool to crimp but I found Pexlock fittings and no tool reqd Clamps. Channel lock to clamp screwdriver to open.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/PEXLock-...0761/308745740
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Red, White, and Blue Pex are all the same other then color. If you can use a connector on 1 you can use it on all 3.

Now a warning you should never connect Pex directly to water pump, this is according to manufacturer's WARNING. You should use flexible tubing rated for proper pressure and mount the pump to isolate vibration. Proper install helps the pump stay quieter.

EDIT I know Airstream is ignorant enough to ignore warnings from the manufacturer, that doesn't mean you have to make the same mistake.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have use the SS clamps and black plastic fittings on the heavy duty water pump systems (5.3 gpm & 60 psi) with no problems. If you research the specs, both plastic and brass have the same values. None of them are recommended below freezing. So in the winter be sure most of the water has been blown out and leave all valves open for expansion or use antifreeze.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Thanks everyone, I have a few follow up questions,

1 Have you guys managed to remove the SS clamp *and* the pex tubing from the fitting? It's easy to remove the ss clamp but remove the tubing from fitting will be harder, I have done this with brass fitting, which I can heat them and loosen it up with a heat gun or torch, but not with plastic fitting.

2. If removing tubing from fittings is too difficult, where do folks purchase these plastic fittings? I found it's difficult to get some of the elbow fittings(MPT to barb with elbow, for example), seems they are not common in residential applications. Also the 3-way valve, the residential brass ones are too large, defeat the my purpose of re-arrange things to make room.

3. Is there any issue to raise pump by 3-4 inches from the floor?

Thanks again!
Old 10-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I prefer the copper bands as well.

Admittedly I’ve also used the stainless steel crimp clamps in tough places. They are easier to install and remove later if necessary. I just use a big pair of diagonal cutters to break off the crimp part that sticks out.
@rmkrum, I just did some research, many of the plastic fittings used in AS has the barb designed to take flexible tubing, they are not recommended to be used with pex crimp.

Since I can't find brass/pex replacement for some of the fittings, I will have to use the plastic ones with clamp
Old 10-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I was able to obtain all flavors of proper brass PEX fittings from either Home Depot or Lowe’s here in Southern California. The ones I have in my 2007 vintage Airstream from the factory are appropriate for PEX, not flexible tubing. They are all brass.

Must be something different going on in yours...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote