Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #1

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Foster , Rhode Island
Noob question. Wondering what these valves go to?

Picked up our new 23CB a couple days ago. Noticed water was dripping out of a white valve on the port side between the tires. ON our walkaround they said there was a water tank low point drain in this area and I assumed it was the brass ball valve nearby. Now I'm not sure. The owners manual is a bit unclear on this as well. SO I am curious what these two valves do and what is the closed position on the white plastic valve? Thanks so much and thanks for having me on this forum!

DanaBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #2

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Foster , Rhode Island
attached a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4204.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	363593  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , VA
The white valve is your fresh water tank drain. The other is a low point drain for either the cold or hot water lines.
Downhill502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:44 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Owners manual page 8-11 describes drain valves.

"Drain Valve Locations

The 23 ft. CB model has a fresh water tank drain, a white petcock, on the tank pan under the trailer between the roadside tires. It also has two low-point
hot and cold water line drain valves located under the bed. They can be reached through a hole in the bed top or through the exterior access door in the rear of
the trailer."

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf

But I'm fuzzy on the single brass valve shown in Dana's pic? The white plastic handle likely should be parallel with trailer frame to close.

Did you buy it new or used? I read 2020 but just checking.

Happy Saturday
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Hamilton , Ontario
I believe the brass valve is to allow you to run the water pump and pump out the tank and lines. That is how it was configured on my 2011.
ArrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
2018 25' International
Grafton , WI
The white petcock needs to be turned at least 180 degrees from its present position to be closed. The brass valve is one of your low point drains.

“Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed.”
― Charles Schultz
Thurston III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
You have two brass valves to drain the hot and cold water lines. Mine are both with a red cap over the lever... where at least one red is hot. Drain those when you reduce the water pressure with a faucet inside to make it easier to drain.

I would suggest Airstream put a BLUE plastic over the cold water valve. Duhhhh.

The cheap, poorly protected white plastic Piece of Carp is to drain the fresh water tank as Thurston III indicated in post #6. It can be stubborn to move and can BREAK. Be careful. You get some calcium carbonate from hard water in behind and it acts as a grit and you can even break the lever off. (This can be temporarily or permanently repaired using a small cork to plug the drain and a wire strung between the two screws to secure it.)

It was obviously an Engineering Breakthrough of inconvenience how the draining system is hidden from view and easy access.

Someday Airstream may replace this plastic piece with brass. Even gravel while traveling can break this valve off flush. Thus the CORK to plug the DAM idea. Like the Dutch Boy and the dike in Holland. We had ours replaced at Jackson Center with our 23 foot petcock being knocked off flush. I asked they put a piece of bent tin to protect it, which they did... and it worked.

The bent tin below is standard. Just spend another ten cents and secure one with tape or cement in front with the same idea. Protect the Goods. Like a CUP if you play sports, kind of thing.

My last two Airstreams I added the tin to protect this plastic petcock. Works. Otherwise... you may be in a "Real Pinch without a Cork".

I love the 23 foot today. It now has 15 inch wheels, rather than the 14 inch stuck with Load Range C tires. Goes anywhere. Tight parking... no problem. Even 16 inch Michelins and Sendels can fit if the need arises. Enjoy. We had our for many years.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
When you open or close the white fresh water drain petcock, do not turn the lever all the way but leave some space behind it. You will quickly find out that if you turn the lever all the way, it will be very hard to get a finger behind it.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I would say that white valve is at least partially open
When closed the handle should be straight across the path of flow
If it is in line with the flow path it is open
no matter which way it is pointing and your handle is almost all the way toward the tank
The valve turns 90 degrees from closed to open
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #10

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Foster , Rhode Island
Bought it new. Thanks so much!
Old 03-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #11

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Foster , Rhode Island
Thanks so much!

Thanks everyone and yes I did notice the difficulty in opening the white valve when in the position shows. Interestingly, at the moment if I open the white valve no water. If I open the brass valve. It shoots straight across to the STBD tires. Still a bit fuzzy on what the brass valve is draining. Also, it seems kind of exposed to me.

Human Bean your reply was hilarious BTW. Well written thank you for the laugh!
Old 03-22-2020, 08:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Dana, just in case we are missing a point.

If you are using the hose connected to CITY WATER, your fresh water tank would not be filling, nor drain as the water is diverted straight into your water lines.

Your last post was an important CLUE. Good you mentioned it.

You would need to fill your fresh water tank from the outside, locked tank fill, and then prime the water system with the water pump.

This would explain the PRESSURE when you open one of the two Brass Valves for the hot/cold.

Just in case this was not being discussed.