Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #1

2014 27' FB International
Dayton , Ohio
New Airstream owner trying to find the source of a water leak??? HELP

My wife and I purchased a 2014 International Sterling 27' about 2 months ago. It took us a month to get it to the site we intend to use it. Once everything was hooked up as far as city water I noticed a small drip at the front of the port side wheel well and along the frame underneath. I have removed the panels and doors and inspected at the rear and bottom of the closet which seems to contain all of the main plumbing but cannot find the source? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Couple of details...at first hookup I did not use a pressure reducer...my bad.
The trailer is in Florida so nothing could have frozen. Also I have installed a 40-50 psi reducer as our spigot pressure was 75 PSI.

I haven't figured out how to post pics yet but I have plenty of them!

Any thoughts appreciated,
Jim
Islandtime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi Jim, if you have not already, remove the four screws from the outside, and inspect this part for leaks while connected. If that is the source of the problem, as it often is, replacement is a breeze.
Good luck,
Joe
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1085.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	494.1 KB
ID:	360147
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #3

Dayton , Ohio
Thank you!

Thanks for the tip Joe it was a little wet so new one is ordered! I am hoping it's the only source for sure. It does make sense that I wouldn't see it from the inside since it would drip behind the wall. Also I guess I didn't need the external pressure reducer either since the Shurflo acts as both regulator and check valve.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 01-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Water drip

The reducer does leak sometimes and easy to replace.
The air conditioner drain drips in front of the left tire.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
New Airstream owner trying to find the source of a water leak??? HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtime34 View Post

————-snip————-

Also I guess I didn't need the external pressure reducer either since the Shurflo acts as both regulator and check valve.

Thanks again,

Jim

An external pressure regulator set at about 55 pounds or so is good protection against hose blowout. I always put an adjustable regulator with a pressure gauge on the supply spigot to help protect my hose and filter. I don’t really trust the cheapie plastic regulator behind the water inlet and check valve connection.

I’ve been in campgrounds that hit over 100 pounds pressure on their water system. They noted the need for a good regulator to prevent blowouts in their brochure.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Moose Jaw , Saskatchewan
Water drip

If you check the fridge condensation drain that might be the problem if the fridge & drip is close to the tire
Popcornkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Is it possibly the AC condensate...I don't know your trailer so can't speak to the location, but that was my first guess
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtime34 View Post
Thanks for the tip Joe it was a little wet so new one is ordered! I am hoping it's the only source for sure. It does make sense that I wouldn't see it from the inside since it would drip behind the wall. Also I guess I didn't need the external pressure reducer either since the Shurflo acts as both regulator and check valve.

Thanks again,
Jim
If I were you I would still use a regulator/reducer in case something goes wrong with your Shurflo. Check valves are known to go bad and internal reducers can do the same.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
If you were using your air conditioning in humid weather, it may very well be condensate from the air conditioner. That really concerned and baffled me the first time I was running the air conditioner in hot, humid weather at a campground. The trickle was at the wheel well of the street side of my 20 foot Safari.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I don't know anything about what you're talking about, but I do know a little about water leaks. One thing I discovered was that the leak is probably not where the drip is. Water tends to travel a circuitous route from infiltration to exfiltration, so even the obvious source is sometimes far away from the actual source.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
T , Ontario
Outside shower connection?

Our leak (2017 FC25) was about one metre ahead of the left side tire, dribbling down from the opening in the under panel where the propane line entered the underbelly. On a hunch I suspected it was traveling along the line from the outside shower and it turned out that the hot water PEX fitting approached the faucet at quite an angle because it was cut a few millimetres too long. As soon as I made it a little more ‘hand tight’ the whole faucet leaked profusely from every pore, blasting past the o-rings, even with a pressure reducer in line. Amazingly, from Amazon, you can buy parts for these things! $10 later, and a bit of caulking along the top and sides of the housing, all was well. Fortunately there was no water damage because the propane line provided a direct path outside.
drobert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #12

Dayton , Ohio
Big THANKS to all!

Thanks for all the tips on the water leak! Looks like replacing the Shurflo did the trick and we are nice and dry👌.

Nice to have a group of minds willing to help.

Jim