Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
Nothing will freeze in the trailer. It would have to be down around 29 degrees. All the plumbing runs inside the unit. If you're that worried, fire up the heater and put it at 50 degrees. The tanks have heaters as well, I think you only have to turn them on via a toggle switch.

When it was cold here recently, it was in the 30's at night. I could see it getting down to 29 with the wind chill during the six hour drive home. It isn't repaired yet, so I have no idea what the temp will be when I pick it up. It's only dropping to mid-50's tonight, but down to mid-30's tomorrow night. Maybe it will be warm. If it was cold, I suppose I could take a vacation day and make the trip in the day time. It's only a twelve hour round trip.

It's illegal to run the heater in the trailer while driving, but I could pull over ever hour or so to warm her up if needed.

The gray and black tanks on this Safari Sport are heated by warm air from the furnace. No toggle switches. It just has a piece of duct aimed toward the tank.

I was told the external shower was removed because it was leaking due to the trailer not being winterized early. At least that's what the dealer told me. It's on the outside. I suppose I could remove the new one before driving if the temp was low.

It wasn't a matter of worry. It was my opinion on good customer service on a unit that has had too many issues for being "new". I thought they would step up and make it right. I can see both sides. It's an older trailer that sat on one of their dealer's lots for four years. Dealer did not take care of it. Dealer doesn't represent Airstream any more. It's probably easier if I just pay to get it winterized while the leaks are getting fixed.
nesvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You have had a frustrating experience, done your best to make this work. It will and you and wife will have many years of enjoyment with your Airstream when the bugs are worked out. I understand the Sport models are quite basic and that will be to your advantage in the long run. We're with you hoping this repair gets things in order.

doug k
thanks doug!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
I made a mistake above, but I guess I can't edit after the thread has been read. It's supposed to be 28 degrees tonight, not mid-30's.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Re: getting locked in shower.

Same thing almost happened to me. So, now I hang the awning wand on the outside of the door - just in case. There is enough space at the top of the door to swing the wand over and straighten the latch.

Airstreams are like Thoroughbred horses; you have to out-think them, or else you'll get into trouble.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Lemon Grove , California
Uh, oh... I own a Thoroughbred AND and Airstream!

We've also got the 2008 22' Sport and have had quite a few minor-ish issues, but luckily our dealer is only ten minutes away and almost everything has been covered by warranty. I'm sure I'd have a different attitude if we were trying to haul her twelve hours round trip to get things fixed.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
leo, neat (Thoroughbreds). My family raised/raced them for over 40 years.
They are sleek, fast, expensive, and a lot of work (not unlike the Airstream!)

I have been involved in everything from cleaning barns to riding them. If you can stop a little problem from escalating, you just might end up with a good horse.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Update... I left it at the service center for a month. Had to pick it up today because I need to use it soon. There was one thing left to do. The bathroom blind (shade) was coming apart because a piece was missing from the bottom since we bought it. Was told Airstream shipped the wrong part, so it was not done yet. Not a big deal. They took care of everything else.

Had an issue with the closet door not closing right. They pointed out that the wall between the closet and fridge is bowed. Could not be adjusted. Would be a major fix. Instead, they replaced the latch mechanism and now at least it clicks and closes.

Grey tank sensor replaced and calibrated.

The leak underneath that came after showering... they said the shower needed to be re-caulked at the bottom, near the tray for the shower curtain. They did this, tested, and said it was no longer leaking. The same area was also re-caulked when it was in NJ earlier this year. Not sure why it stopped leaking when I drained the grey tank. I hope it's fixed. I won't be able to find out until next Spring, because I paid to have it winterized. It was in the 20's yesterday.

Because it's a 12 hour round trip, I am staying at a campground for the night. Got here and set up the trailer. When I raised the dinette table, I noticed some dark spots down low on the wall. Checked it out. The floor is soaked. Bottom few inches of the wall, under the front window, soaked and brown stained. The seat cushions (bottom and back) on the curb side and very wet (material and foam). This is the area where it leaked earlier this year and was repaired in NJ. With all the driving, gas, campsite fees, vacation time used, etc.... I'm starting to think it would have be cheaper to bring it to Colin Hyde in Plattsburgh, skip the warranty coverage, and pay for it myself. I really don't know. Can't afford to anything else to it right now.

On a positive note, the foliage was beautiful today. Nice ride through New England.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
What a pain. So sorry to hear of all of the leaks. I'm a bit confused why the dealer didn't notice the leaks and the floor being soaked on two walls of the camper. I strongly think you should find some covered storage over the winter so that the leaks don't cause any more damage.

Then take it to Colin in the spring. Given how well the repair in NJ went, let him work at it. He has a Sealtech leak tester so he can figure out what the issue is.

The cost of a campground, gas, and time off would probably pay for at least 5 hours of time at his shop, which probably would get it close to fixed...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
I empathize. I'm researching bathroom/shower leaks. How did it turn out for you? Was the bathroom issue resolved with that repair? Did they take care of your other leak(s)?
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #30
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
It is when I read threads like this that I now know why you folks in the U.S buy so many guns.
I'm just glad I bought a 30 year Airstream motorhome that I could smell the problems. Replaced most of the subfloor with no rot Coosa, fixed all leaks and renovated the interior. It wasn't like I wasn't going to do all this work one day anyway, but if my coach had been a 4 year old coach with the problems stated in this thread....I'd have bought a gun by now.
I hope your wife is taking it easy on you, I know mine wouldn't.

Goodluck for the future.
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdesign View Post
I empathize. I'm researching bathroom/shower leaks. How did it turn out for you? Was the bathroom issue resolved with that repair? Did they take care of your other leak(s)?
I'm not sure nesvt is still on the forums as he put the trailer up for sale last year. He talks about the resolution to the problems in this thread.

Tom
Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Thank you Tom. It's quite a story. I'm so sorry he got the Airstream fixed only to find he had cancer.
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote