Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Low point drain petcocks

Both of the petcocks on the low point drains on our 2000, 30' Excella are leaking.
They are located on the curb side, between the axles, about 6 " from the frame towards the center. They are easy to access, I should only have to remove 1 wheel, and unscrew them to replace.
Seems like every time I begin one of these "simple" jobs, I end up with more problems. I have a shop, and adequate tools to do whatever I need to do.
Is there anything that I should know before I tackle this project tomorrow.
The petcocks are metal, they look like the same thing that is used to drain a radiator, so they should be available at NAPA.
Advise is welcome.
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Are you sure it is the pet cock that is leaking and not the connection to the tubing? Its is real odd that one should leak let along two. Maybe it was just before lunch when they were installed. Dry them off and take a close look as someone brings the pressure up.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Are you sure it is the pet cock that is leaking and not the connection to the tubing? Its is real odd that one should leak let along two. Maybe it was just before lunch when they were installed. Dry them off and take a close look as someone brings the pressure up.
Well, it appears to me that they are both leaking. I've already dried them off, and taken the pressure off and then repressurized the system before I started this thread.

When I open them, of course, the water drains out of both of them, as they should. When I close them, they both drip out of the same opening as when they are fully opened.

When I turn the pump off, or disconnect the city water, they stop leaking. When the system is pressurized, they stop. When I put more pressure on them when I shut the valve, using a pair of pliers for more leverage, it slows to a drip about once every minute or so.

At the point where the petcock body screws into a fitting, everything is dry. The only place that's wet is at the open end of the petcock. Maybe it's odd, but it look's to me like they are both leaking.
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Mine started to drip a couple of years ago on my 2002 Safari. I open them periodically, spray them down with WD40 and then work them open and close a few times, then they seem to be ok for a while.

LR
Bismarck ND
Ruebel is offline   Reply With Quote