Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Tiverton , Rhode Island
Low Hot water pressure

I have a 34 trailer 1997 wide body model.
Trailer is hooked up to city water and I have good pressure on the cold side,however hot water pressure is very low. I've tried adjusting the shut offs under the bathroom vanity,where in hot water heater is located. I also checked the facet ends to make sure they are clear.
Any ideas ?
Thanks,
Ed Klek
quahogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
The only thing I can think of would be the water filter but that would effect both hot and cold. Hummm.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
First thing, make sure the bottom and top valves are open on the HWT bypass, and the centre one is closed. If that dosen't help, shut off the HWT, take the pressure off by shutting water supply off and opening a tap in the bathroom. Then take the drain plug out and see it there is a load of "crud" in the tank, and if so, clean out. You can backflush the bypass valves by putting air pressure in the HWT through the drain, but NO MORE THAN 50 PSI. Have someone open and close the top and bottom bypas valves for the HWT as you air up the tank. Short of doing the above, I can't think of any other ways to restore flow. Good luck and keep us informed of the solution. Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
If hot water flow is equally low at the bath sink, galley sink, and shower faucets then maybe there is an obstruction in the hot water pipe from the water heater to the first faucet.

If the flow is good at the first faucet on the hot water line, but lousy at the second, then the obstruction is in that section.

I agree the by pass valves are suspects here. If you put your trailer in "by pass" mode, bypassing the water heater, then is the water flow at the faucets poor?

Atwood has a "clean and flush" procedure for the water heater tank. You can drain the tank and see if you think there is crud built up in it.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Tiverton , Rhode Island
Thanks so much for the help

Problem is I'm in Rhode Island and the RV is in Florida and I won't be back there until Nov. I have made note of the post and I'm pretty sure I'll fix it with the helpful ideas everyone has provided.
BTW the pressure is low at bathroom vanity,shower and kitchen sink.
Again thanks and when I get to work on it,I'll post the results.
Ed
Old 05-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Calgary , Alberta
I just de-winterized my trailer last week and had exactly the same issue. My trailer is a 2017 with the single valve bypass system.

I suspected the problem was with the automatic bypass valve on the side of the hot water tank. I tapped it gently with the handle of a screw driver a couple of times and the problem resolved. (I hate to admit I "fixed" anything by tapping it but I figured it was worth a try prior to really digging in.)

B.
Oldtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
johnkellygreen

1985 25' Sovereign
Lansdowne , Pennsylvania
External shower mixing valve

This possible fix only applies if you have an external shower connection. Sometimes the mixing valves are left in the open or partially open state which allows your cold and hot water to mix and to cause either reduced temp hot water or perhaps reduced hot water pressure.

Good luck!
johnkellygre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Tiverton , Rhode Island
Thanks again

I wish I was with the trailer to try these repair ideas... I'm looking forward to fixing the problem. Even with the low pressure, it's not bad.
Ed